October 09, 2006

Odd Encounters with the Non-running World

It was a beautiful fall morning -- sunny, warm, and with the leaves in full splendor. Having raced the day before, I was out for an easy seven mile run, and my route took me to Cold Springs Park and a loop on the path. I was feeling very comfortable and relaxed, taking in the glorious foliage and thinking about things that I think about when I run.

I had already passed a few people, when I came up behind a party of four people and a dog. I was slowing down when they stepped to the side of the path to let me pass. I thought that was very nice of them.

But as I glided past them, the eldest member of the group -- a woman of about 60 -- suddenly uttered a single-word command that was unmistakably directed to me: "Faster!" she blurted out.

I slowed to a stop, which took me about about 10 meters, turned around and jogged slowly back to the group. There were three young adults and the older woman who had yelled at me, presumably their mom. I looked at the woman with my most angelic smile and I said, "Why do you want me to go faster?"

At this point, the others in her group were twittering with nervous laughter. I held out my arm to the woman and invited her to run with me. She took my arm and ran about 10 steps very slowly. The laughter in the group became a little louder and a little more uncomfortable. As we were approaching one of the exercise stations on the fitness trail, the woman leaned over to me and whispered "up to this bench... I don't want to have a cardiac arrest." I stopped, she let go of my arm, and I continued on my run.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha i wish i could have seen that

elie said...

Thanks for that Jon, hahaha...
We got a few of those comments today from non-affiliated spectators.