April 12, 2008

Getting Up Early to Watch London...

I am sentimentally attached to the idea of getting up really early to watch something happening in a different part of the world. I don't know why I feel this way -- maybe it was because my parents woke me up in the middle of the night to watch the first lunar landing -- but I find it very romantic to rub sleep out of my eyes, plop down in front of a TV, and watch something happen in a far away land.

A couple of weeks ago I got a chance to do this when the Red Sox opened their major league season in Tokyo. My son and daughter came over the night before and joined me at 6:15 a.m. to watch the first pitch. No matter that it was a work day, it was great!

Well, tomorrow morning I'll have another chance. Thanks to the Internet, I'll be able to boot up the old laptop and watch the London Marathon LIVE... starting at 3:55 a.m.

Here's the link at WCSN.com

Even if you don't get up early to watch it, you can watch the replay on demand after the fact. It should be a fascinating race. Fast, of course, and featuring a deep field including two meteoric talents: U.S. Trials winner Ryan Hall, and half-marathon world record holder Sammy Wanjiru. Wanjiru says he wants to run 2:05. It could be hard to find a rabbit who can go that fast! 2007 winner Martin Lel is back, as well.

Letsrun.com has a ton of coverage.

The IAAF site has a nice article about Ryan Hall.

And here's a link to the meet's own web site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ryan Hall should be proud a gutsy run after losing the pack...but Lel and Wanjiru still looked like they were from another planet when it came down to it.

Three great races on the day. Did you see the collision with Van Dyke just meters from the finish in the men's wheelchair? Or Wami's recovery for third after falling?