September 21, 2008

NNHS/NSRP/BSL Alumni Results - Weekend of 9/20-21

Barnicle 9th at USATF 5K Championship

Chris Barnicle (NNHS '05) made an unexpected appearance at the CVS/Caremark Downtown 5K in Providence, Sunday, finishing 9th in 14:21.5. The CVS race is designated as the USATF 2008 5K Road Championship.

Up until last spring, Chris was competing for the University of Arkansas, but this would suggest he's not running for the Hogs this fall. If I'm remembering correctly, he still has two seasons of collegiate XC eligibility left.

14:21 is a good time on the roads. Good job, Chris, and if you read this, let us know your plans for this fall and beyond.

Local Runners at UMass Dartmouth Invitational

Times were very fast at the UMass Dartmouth Invitational on Saturday, and there were some great times from runners who met at Cold Springs for runs this summer.

Paul Norton (Amherst Regional HS/Brandeis) finished 3rd in an outstanding personal best 25:08. Other NSRP friend include:


20. Mike Burnstein (Brookline/Trinity) 25:33
39. Seb Putzeys (NNHS/Northeastern) 25:54
84. Sam Donovan (NSHS/Brandeis) 26:51
88. James Vance (NSHS/Johnson & Wales) 26:56
(278 finishers!)


There were several other Bay State league runners, including:


62. Philip Gingras (Walpole/Westfield State) 26:28
64. Chris O'Day (Braintree/Assumption) 26:30
83. Kyle Higgins (Braintree/Assumption) 26:48
205. Craig Myers (Weymouth/UMass Boston) 29:55
245. Ryan Norton (Walpole/UMass Boston) 31:50

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon,

Thanks for the note. I was somewhat happy with the result. I regret now not running the course beforehand because I was with Burrell and those guys with about 400m to go and then faded bad because I was anticipating the finish line to come sooner. Road racing is for sure a different animal than racing on the track or even on the xc course.

But you're right I won't be running cross country for Arkansas this year. When Coach Mac retired I decided to graduate a semester early and apply to grad school to use the remainder of my eligibility. This most likely would have been my last season of xc so I sat out to have a season at grad school. I'm hoping to get a medical redshirt for when I had mono as a sophomore but it is going to be tough. So I'm expecting begin by M.A. in Latin American Studies in January at the University of New Mexico.

And on a side note, keep posting updates about the Newton South girl's xc team. I was really impressed with their performance this last weekend and I'm looking forward to see them compete against L-S and the powerhouses of New York and elsewhere. Anyways, hope this clears things for you. Shoot me an email if not.

Jon Waldron said...

Thanks for the update, Chris. It's great to hear from you.

Does the CVS race still finish on the that nasty little uphill? That was always tough.

I hope to see you this fall, if you are up visiting. But if not, good luck at UNM.

Anonymous said...

yea the uphill finish isn't easy. i should be home for thanksgiving and i'm planning to race in manchester, ct that morning.

Anonymous said...

Hey john,
100 meters into the race me and a bunch of my teammates got caught in this massive pileup. people were getting trampled. it was tough to recover from haha.

Anonymous said...

whoops. I meant Jon* not john

Jon Waldron said...

Hi Sam. I did wonder about whether the huge field affected people in the race.

and thanks for the name correction. You definitely don't want Ankit to get on your case about my name...