November 01, 2010

NNHS and NSRP Alumni Results - 10/31/10

Tom Davis ran an impressive race to finish 2nd in the Cape Cod Marathon on Sunday, running 2:31:05 (5:45 pace). I'm fairly certain Tom, himself, would say it wasn't a particularly fast time, but the CCM course is brutal on a windy day. After the first ten miles, which are quite flat and sheltered, the course becomes much more hilly and exposed to the wind off the water. Very few people run under 2:30 there. So congratulations to Tom on a great effort.

Several old friends of NSRP competed at the UAA Championships in Van Cortland Park on Saturday. Mike Burnstein (Washington U., Brookline) and Paul Norton (Brandeis, Amherst H.S.) had great performances. Burnstein won the 8K race in 25:40, leading Wash U. to the team title; Norton was a few steps behind in 3rd in 25:42. Other local runners included: Yuji Wakimoto (35th, 26:41), Sam Donovan (72nd (28:19), and Billy Littlefield (74th (28:52).

The NESCAC championships were held at Hamilton College on Saturday, and Tyler Andrews reports that there was mud, mud, mud, and hills on the 8K men's course. NSRP'er Andrews finished a very respectable 26th in 27:03, as Tufts placed 3rd in the team race. Other veterans of Cold Springs Park included two Newton south alumni, Andrew Wortham (33rd in 27:10) and Will Cha (107th, 29:25). Needham's Sam Miller finished 85th (28:26), but he's never been to NSRP, so I'm not even sure why I'm mentioning him...

And while I'm not mentioning people, congratulations to Needham H.S. XC Coach Chris Van Cott, who won the Bill's 5K road race in Newton on Sunday, running 16:49.

7 comments:

Tom said...

Hi Jon,

I was hoping to see you there as I saw Terry in the relay. I actually covered the course in 2:28 (three bathroom issues) as I was just doing the race as a hard long run. I'd signed-up a while back with the intention of racing, but training has been going so poorly that I decided to just make a long run of it. After a 5:32 opening mile and feeling like I was running 7:00 pace, I decided to just stay steady the entire way. I've always thought that the marathon was my distance, but after running 5:39 pace effortlessly yesterday, I have no doubt that I can run sub 5:20 pace in my next one.

Hope to see you at the class meet,

- Tom

Jon Waldron said...

Hey Tom, thanks for the comment!

I was originally scheduled to run the relay for the NER 50+ team, but in the end they didn't need me.

I had no idea that was a training run for you. Yikes! I don't know how you define poor training, but something must be going well to be able to run 2:28 for 26M and shrug it off as just another long run.

Good luck to your team at the class meet! I won't be able to be there, since my team is running in the NEPSTA NE championships that day.

Billy said...

Thanks for the shoutout Jon!
Not my best race :X it was nice to see some NSRPers at van cortlandt though

Tom said...

Good luck to your team on the 13th, I look forward to seeing how you guys do. And when do you usually run in Newton? We should meet-up for a run at some point -- I'm always around and it'd be great to run with you! Let me know.

Terry said...

Tom,
Great run on the Cape! I enjoyed catching you mid-race. (me with 1 mile to go, you with 12!) I predict you'll accomplish tons, both with your team this fall and with your future marathoning.

Terry

m. glennon said...

No love for the Amerca East? Elliot Lehane graces the picture at the top of the page - he and his Terrier teammates including fellow Warrior Rob Gibson won their conference championship.

Tom said...

Thanks a lot, Terry, I really appreciate that. And it was great running with you on Sunday. I've always admired your toughness and ability to push yourself in running, and you certainly showed that on Sunday. Great job!