November 20, 2005

Post State-Meet Thoughts

Well, the prediction business ain't easy.

I went on record as saying that Amherst could take down Brockton in the Boys Div I race. Oops. Big mistake. Brockton looked dominant. Amherst looked like they were never in the chase, and finished a somewhat distant fourth. Brookline finished second (I predicted them fourth), and Mansfield finished 3rd.

In the individual race, I picked Steve Czupryna to win -- but he finished third. It looks like I was, as Noah Jampol said, overrating the difficulty of the Western Mass course when I made my picks.

Here's how my other individual predictions went:


My picks Actual
1. Czupryna Amirault
2. Amirault Gill
3. Polgar Czupryna
4. Gill Andrews
5. Collins Collins (I got that right!)

1. Amherst 98 Brockton 58
2. Brockton 101 Brookline 93
3. St. John's 121 Mansfield 99
4. Brookline 138 Amherst 117


Not a very good showing. Perhaps St. John's would have bailed me out if their top runner had not had to drop out. As it is, they finished 7th.


In the girls race, I did somewhat better:


My picks Actual
1. Kasper Kasper
2. Barton Wetherbee
3. O'Laughlin Barton
4. Bourdeau Karys
5. Karys Pancoast
6. Wetherbee Smrcina

1. Amherst 98 Amherst 85
2. Newton South 127 Newton South 88
3. Dennis Yarmouth 148 Dennis Yarmouth 92
4. Haverhill 171 Westford Academy 147
5. Wachusett 178 Haverhill 162


The big over-achievers were Newton South and Dennis Yarmouth. Wachusett didn't do so well, just as St. John's didn't do so well in the boys race. Maybe I over-estimated the difficulty of the Gardner course!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey John,
Are you going to keep this active during the track season? That would be sweet:)