November 01, 2005

Racing... (It's not like training)

"Training was a rite of purification; from it came speed, strength. Racing was a rite of death; from it came knowledge." - John L. Parker, Once a Runner

I was thinking about the BSL meet over the weekend, wondering why some runners seem to rise to the occasion in big races, while others seems to run better in practice than they do when the pressure is on.

A few minutes before the boys varsity race, I mentioned to Noah Jampol that I didn't think a particular kid on Weymouth was going to run well, despite having beaten Noah in a dual meet and established himself as a favorite to crack the top twelve. Sadly, my prediction was borne out, as this kid finished 20th, well back of runners he had beaten handily during the season.

On the other hand, Noah ran extremely well, staying right with a pack of Brookline runners who had beaten him soundly only three days before.

As I pondered this, I made a list in my mind of things I have learned do NOT predict racing success in a big meet:


  • Running impressive workouts the week before a race
  • Running fast in races of negligible importance
  • Running poorly in races of negligible importance


All the predictions made by all the most knowledgable observers can only approximate the dynamics that determine the result when very good runners race each other. On race day, at the appointed time, what matters most is whether an athlete is ready for the test. If they are truly ready in mind and body then the course (and its Brookline-esque hills) doesn't matter. Snow doesn't matter. The shouts of spectators don't even register. But if the athlete isn't ready, then all these things -- course, hills, weather, crowd -- become obstacles.

On the day of the league meet, there were surprises. Not all fast runners, ran fast or well. Not all undefeated teams remained undefeated. The races were not decided by taking a poll of what the coaches thought would happen. Thank goodness! Race day was more elemental than that: let's race and see who gets to the finish line first.

I think it's possible to learn how to develop "racing mind" that quality that allows you to do your best on the day it matters. Look at Doug Brecher, who has not always had his best races in his biggest races. He was ready on Saturday. It might not have been comfortable for his coches to see him cavorting with the Brookline kids, but he was clearly looking forward to the race, and that's a big part of being ready.

Ultimately, a runners needs to accept that the race will be a test, but not dwell on it. There's a fine line between wanting to perform well and fearing the consequences of performing poorly. When I prepare to race, I try to focus on the importance of gaining the self-knowledge that the race brings. If I do my best, I will learn something of great value, regardless of where I finish, or what my time is. I have learned valuable things from races in which I have run poor times. I don't disown those eforts.

As a coach, I know that I am responsible for designing a training plan that helps runners become fit enough to run races. But I'm also responsible for training my athletes to race, which is a different thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have found this to be true as well. I couldnt agree with you more.
-Tim