September 12, 2006

USATF New England 5M Championships

On Saturday, I ran in the USATF-NE 5M road race championship, held in South Boston. NNHS alum John Blouin also ran, representing the Greater Boston TC.

The race used to be held the first week of October, but was moved earlier in the calendar to avoid a conflict with other events happening near the waterfront. Unfortunately, the weather was very hot, so times were a bit slow overall. The course itself was fairly flat -- there used to be a steep hill at 2.5 miles, but the course was changed this year to eliminate the hill and add a loop along the water.

The winning time was 24:04.

I ran 27:44 and that only got me 70th place (14th master)! It felt very slow compared to last year (26:58), but I blame that partly on the weather, as everyone seemed to wilt in the heat and finish 20-30 seconds behind what they had run the year before. John Blouin finished just behind me in 27:56.

At least I was faster than Polgar, who ran a shorter course at Franklin Park!

Ollie Road Race/New England 5M Championship - 9/9/2006

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just wait Jon, you just wait...I haven't crossed the line yet...

Anonymous said...

congrats jon! you're probably slower than last year just cause you're older :) and who isn't faster than polgar these days?