December 12, 2006

Running Places...

I've always been keen on finding a way to use running as a legitimate form of personal transportation, a way of going places when car, bus, and bike were inconvenient or unavailable.

The fascination with running as transportation started early. I grew up far enough away from schools that it was a long walk, but not so far that a bus was required. Already in elementary school I was experimenting with running home, and was surprised and delighted to find that I could make the trip faster on foot. Of course, I was lucky not to be burdened by a 25-lb backpack. In those days, there wasn't much to take home from school. It was a lighter time in many ways... But I digress.

The other thing about running places that gave me great pleasure was finding shortcuts. I became briefly famous with my classmates by getting off the bus on Lincoln Avenue, waving as the bus drove off, and then racing through several backyards and an alley to emerge at the next bus stop on Dana Avenue thirty seconds before the bus arrived. I had discovered a lifelong passion for combining a love of running with a love of being different.

The thing was, I never made running a regular means of commuting. Perhaps it was because it took too much planning ahead on a daily basis, or perhaps because doing it every day would have spoiled the fun. For whatever reason, I didn't end up running to and from school every day like the Kenyans.

The closest I came to regular running to work was when I lived in Newton Corner and worked in Newton Lower falls, a distance of 5.5 miles. We only had one car then, and there was a bus I could take but it came once an hour. So I often ran to and from work. I look back at my running log for that year and many days are inscribed simply:

a.m. 5.5
p.m. 5.5

Of course, this would not have been possible if the company hadn't had a locker room and shower. It did, and I vowed never to work at a building that DIDN'T have some way to clean myself up after a run.

The details of commuting on foot through the next two decades probably wouldn't be interesting to anyone but me. I worked in East Cambridge for five years (10 miles along the river, and some memorably cold mornings in the winter). The company moved out to Waltham , 4 miles as the crow flies from my house in West Newton but with a really nasty hill and rugged trails that were impassable in the winter. Then I
worked in Newton for three years, two miles from my house. I found that unlike HS, two miles was now far too short for me to commute by running. I biked instead.

Six years ago I started working in Woburn -- 17 miles from my home, the longest commute of my life. There was no easy commute that did not involve a car, but I never gave up the hope of figuring out some way to get there (or get home) while getting in my daily run or at least asserting my independence over the automobile.

I started by making a vast table of all the possibilities: the commuter trains, the crosstown buses, the parts that I could run or bike, the backup plans in case a connection was missed. I estimated the time for each possibility, and eliminated many that were simply not practical or took too long. I experimented. I found that if I took a bike, I could ride halfway, catch a train (taking my bike on the train), and then reverse the process in the evening but without the bike, running the last 8 miles. This worked great except that the bike ended up at my work, so I couldn't repeat the process two days in a row. I tried running the 8 miles to the train in the morning, and then taking all public transportation in the evening. That workedok, but it took too long and I arrived at work too tired to do anything useful for a couple of hours.

So the search for the cleverest commute goes on. The MBTA recently added a few trains to the Lowell Line, and suddenly there are new possibilities for me. So I've been experimenting with running part of the way home first, and then catching one of these new trains to take me in to Boston. In theory, I could do this every day, but that would probably become too commonplace so I'll continue to drive most days.

I'll tell you one thing: when I'm running for a train, I never have any problem with motivation; I never question why I'm running; I never worry about my competition. Now and then, it's a great feeling to be running for the sole purpose of getting home in time for dinner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am working in Somerville near East Cambridge/Leachmere. So I have done a number of cold runs on the river. Did you run both ways? I alternate with my bike. Bike in, run home. Run in, bike home. I usually enjoy my commute, but it also makes me appreciate my weekend runs when I don't have to wear a backpack.

Jon Waldron said...

I rarely ran both ways to East Cambridge, but your solution of alternating running and biking sounds pretty good. I wonder if running so much with a backup permanently alters one's stride... that would be an interesting research project.

Anonymous said...

I have found that if I run not just for the sake of running and getting some training done, but instead to get somewhere, my motivation and likelyhood of actually running that particular day soar in comparison to other days. The problem for me with running seems to be that usually training runs start at one place and almost always end at the same exact place. Work=zero, in terms of physics. Besides the fatigue, I have nothing convincing me that the run was beneficial in any way. Running with a goal in mind, or an immediate reward such as food at the end of the run is a much better way to train as long as there is no shortcut to it (if I set out to run a loop knowing that I'll have dinner once I get back, I will most likely procrastinate for an hour and then eat, having not run at all because it's easier to do that leave the food and then return to eat it. Having the food seven miles away forces me to get my run in, although this is very difficult to arrange in my schedule).