April 23, 2007

Newton North vs. Brookline Boys Track Preview

This Tuesday, April 24th, the Newton North boys will try to defend their dual meet win streak (eight years and counting) against a very good Brookline team. It looks like the weather will be good, and the competition is going to be very intense. Here's my take on how the two teams stack up, and who has the advantage in the clash of the titans:

Sprints

The meet starts with the 110 hurdles and Brookline's Joel Parent looks like the favorite, having run 15.8 in last week's meet against Wellesley. I expect Newton to take 2nd and 3rd. 5-4 Brookline.

In the 100 there is a fine match-up between Brookline's Michael Bennett and North's Cailean Robinson (and Hymlaire Lamisere). I think Robinson wins by an eyelash, with Bennett 2nd, Hymlaire 3rd. 6-3 Newton.

Bennett comes back in the 200, but there he'll have to contend with North's Avery Mitchell. Unfortunatley for North, although I think Mitchell could win if fresh, he'll be coming back from what promises to be a brutal 400 against Matt Stewart, so I'll give the edge to Bennett. 5-4 Brookline.

In the 300 hurdles, Brookline sophomore Ian Sandler will be tough to beat, having run 42.9 last week against Wellesley. Still, Sam Arsenault continues to improve and I'll give him the edge in this one. 6-3 Newton.

In the 4x100, Newton should win, as Bennett will be doing all individual events. 5-0 Newton.

Jumps

In the long jump, it's a great match-up between Bennett, Gordon Forbes and Adam Bao. I'm going to give the nod to Bennett here, but give Newton 2nd and 3rd. 5-4 Brookline.

Brookline's Alex Lipincott will battle Sam Arsenault in the high jump, and I think Sam will have too many other events distracting him. I give Brookline the edge here. 6-3. Brookline.

In the triple jump, Parent has jumped over 35' this season, but I think there's a homefield advantage for the Newton North boys on their funky runways. I'll give this one to Bao, and call it 5-4 Newton.

Middle Distance

This is the area where Brookline can really press its advantage. I expect the Warriors to put Robert Gibson and Eliot Lehane in the mile. Gibson is the defending state indoor champion with a PR of 4:18 and he won't lose. Lehane has run 4:29, and will be tough for currently undefeated Seb Putzys to beat. I'm afraid this goes to Brookline 8-1.

In the 400, it's going to be a great race between Avery Mitchell and Matt Stewart, or with Tobias Blatter, if Brookline chooses to run Stewart in the 800. I'm going to show my hometown bias here and say that Mitchell pulls out the win, running 50.0, but Brookline takes a solid 2nd and 3rd. 5-4 Newton.

In the 800, I don't see Newton being able to compete. Brookline will sweep, with Blattier or Stewart, Chris Mercurio, and Adam Sege the likely executioners. 9-0 Brookline.

Despite the efforts of Dan Hamilton, I think Brookline will own the 2-mile with Jerzy Eisenberg-Guyot and Mike Burnstein (both sub 10:00 2-milers), and new addition David Wilson (sub 17:00 for 5K in XC). Ryan Hardiman is no slouch either and could make it a four-way sweep.

Throws

Here's Newton's chance to make up for the points lost in the distance races. North has an excellent chance to sweep the shot put, with All-State and New England champion David Smith leading the way. 9-0 newton.

In the discus, it's Smith again, with Marvin Chan taking second. 8-1 Newton.

Unfortunately for Newton, Bennett turns out to be an excellent javelin thrower as well as a sprinter, and has chucked the spear over 140' this year. I'll give him the win, and give Newton 2nd and 3rd. 5-4 Brookline.

4x400 Relay

If all my predictions are correct (and I'm sure they will NOT be), that adds up to 67-64 Brookline going into the final relay. Unfortunately for North, Brookline has an excellent 4x400 relay with Stewart, Blattier, Gibson, and Sandler. North won't have Mitchell (since he'll run the 200 and 400), and no longer has indoor standouts Alex lee and Abasu Watanabe. If it does indeed come down to the relay, I have to give the nod to Brookline.

In any case, it should be a great meet!

No comments: