December 27, 2009

NNHS Alumni etc. Results - 12/26/09

I was chatting with a friend at the BU Mini-Meet #2, and we were comparing notes on the difficulty of finding indoor venues to do track workouts out over the holidays. His solution was to forget about the track workouts, and use races as his speedwork, hence his regular presence at these indoor meets.

There's something to be said for that, and the BU Meets make it particularly easy. The atmosphere is extremely low-key, the warm-up facilities are good, and because there are only a few events contested, the meet goes fairly quickly. While I'm not a fan of running races as workouts (i.e., not running them hard), using racing as a substitute for speedwork is not such a bad idea.

Anyway, at this time of year just about everyone seems to be using these early indoor meets as part of their preparation for the bigger meets to come. At yesterday's BU meet, I saw Sam Arsenault (NNHS '09) getting in some good quality running. He ran a modest 23.69 in the 200, but came back with a solid 51.55 in the 400. I don't what event he'll be focusing on this winter, but I'm guessing it will be the 400 or even 500.

Another former Bay Stater, Ryan Hardiman, jumped in the 400 and ran 54.68. (Last week he ran 8:54 for the 3K, showing good range!) This week's 3000m was won by former MA state XC champion Ryan Collins, who ran 8:22.10.

3 comments:

Old Blue Eyes said...

Most impressive at the B.U. meet was the 2:01 from Jon Waldron at age 50(?). How much faster could you do it at age 20? I thought I was hot stuff when at age 37 I ran 2:03. Of course, you know you have to go after that 2 min. barrier now.

Jon Waldron said...

I WISH I had run that time, but that's a mistake in the results. Someone must have transposed a digit on that guy's competitor number or something. I did NOT run 2:01, and was content to run only one event -- the mile (4:54.36).

I don't know what I could run for 800 now, but I'm guessing around 2:12-2:14.

And I'll be 52 in January, thank you very much.

Old Blue Eyes said...

I guess if you could run 2:01 at age 52 you'd be #1 in the world, come to think of it. 2:12 ain't bad though.