June 25, 2009

Come On In, the Weather's Fine!

As we slouch towards the end of what might turn out to be "the dreariest June in history" (The Boston Globe's words, not mine), I marvel at how being a runner changes one's perspectives about all sorts of things, not least the weather.

It's true that the constant threat of rain is sometimes a bummer. But by and large, our recent cool spell has been great for running, especially considering the alternative. By this point in the season of a normal year, I've usually done at least one race or long run in high heat and humidity, leaving me wilted and ruined for several days. Not this year. My long run last Sunday -- 14 blissfully overcast miles with a light mist over trails softened by the previous day's rain -- was refreshing. That's not a word I usually apply to long runs, but that's just an indication of how unique June has been.

And it's not just that it has been rainy. I think last year it was rainy in June as well, but all the rain seemed to come down in buckets during heavy storms. By contrast, we've been stuck in a weather pattern for a couple of weeks that has kept the temperature at a near-constant 60-65 degrees, with occasional light rain or mist. I think I know how the cucumbers at Whole Foods feel.

One problem with all this cool, overcast weather is the tendency to gloat about it. When I come to the office in the morning, I can read despair in the faces of my co-workers. "When will it ever end?" they moan. They don't want to hear about the excellent 8-mile run I did last night...

And then there is the problem of managing my growing collection of damp shoes. Over the past ten days, I have had half a dozen pairs of shoes drying in our family room, filling the air with their faintly organic aromas.

Well, I say enjoy it while you can. Soon enough this weather pattern will end and a new one will begin, bringing heat, humidity, hurricanes, or some other challenge. And it won't be long before you'll hear complaints about how hot and dry it is.

But not from me.

According to the Boston Globe, if the month had ended on Tuesday, we'd be only the SECOND-most gloomy month on record. In other words, we need a few more overcast days to secure our place in history.


(Source: Boston Globe)

The sun can wait. Let's go for the record!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice analogy with the cucumbers.