June 26, 2009

Zen moment at Fresh Pond

So I was at Fresh Pond in Cambridge last night, getting ready to run a nice little 3M tempo with my buddies.

The rain had stopped, and the sun was out for the first time in a week. With the nice weather, people had come out to enjoy the late afternoon, and the pathways around the Pond were crowded with joggers, dog-walkers, and parents with strollers.

I had already done a warm-up lap with Terry, and I was now off on my own doing my usual pre-workout dynamic drills, my knee-hugging, skipping, bouncing, sliding routine that has taken the place of static stretching. I have been doing these drills for long enough that I now longer feel self-conscious about them, although I suspect that they look faintly ridiculous to the outside observer.

As I was doing one of the more lively drills, I passed a family of four on bikes. The father was rather overweight, and his body teetered unsteadily on the saddle of his bicycle like a dinner roll on a chopstick. Alongside him was a young boy, maybe seven or eight. Behind them the mother rode next to a teenage girl. They seemed like a lovely family out for a little evening recreation.

As I skipped along, the four of them passed me. A few moments later I heard the father say distinctly to the boy. "If you ever catch me doing that..." (and by "that" I knew instantly that he could only be referring to my eccentric warm-up activity) "...just shoot me!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's in peak physical condition Jon, so his self-esteem must be at a all time high.

Anonymous said...

"...like a dinner role on a chopstick." (it's roll) but anyway I nearly fell over when I read that line....and might not be able to sleep from laughing.

Anonymous said...

and how does the roll get on the chopstick in the first place.....giggle

Anonymous said...

we may all be runners and as such be in better physical shape than others, but still it doesn't seem quite right to make fun of overweight people ... yes, he was a jerk, so feel free to make fun of him (seriously), but i feel like we should try to stop ourselves from making fun of larger people as a whole, you know?