June 07, 2009

NNHS Alumni Results - 6/7/09

At the second NB Twilight meet (Saturday, June 6), Seb Putzeys ran a nice 9:01.79 for 3000m, placing 15th in a strong field.

The meet had other outstanding performances, including a scintillating 800m from ex-Lowell H.S. star Brian Gangon, who ran 1:47.97.

On Sunday, at the vision 5K in Newton, an unlikely NN alumnus ran 21:00 (20:50, if you go by the net time given by his electronic timing chip). Former state and NE shot put champion Mat Frankel (there couldn't be more than one Mat Frankel, could there?) finished 4th in his age group. Very impressive -- maybe more impressive than David Smith's 5-7 high jump.

Which brings to mind the question -- what is the most impressive performance you've ever seen by someone competing outside their usual events? Coach Blackburn's 2:44 marathon as a master comes to mind (How many sprinters do you know who can run a 2:44 marathon. or would want to?)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frankel's become a jogger now. Lost a lot of weight, couldn't tell he used to be a NE champ shotputter

Old Blue Eyes said...

I saw Matt a few months ago and didn't recognize him. He'll tell people he threw the shot 60'2" and nobody will believe him. He hated running in high school and now he said he is"hooked". From his freshman year he said he wanted to break the SP record of Joel Dennis--59'8 1/2" On the last throw of his high school career he did it. One of my top thrills in coaching. .

Old Blue Eyes said...

Thanks for the mention Jon. As you know marathon running is need and motivation. The need to accomplish something you can't at shorter distances and the motivation to run 140 miles a week for 10 years. Being a little crazy helps.

Dan Krockmalnic '98 said...

Hey Jon,

I thought I'd add my own result to the fray. I ran a 1:34:11 in the Covered Bridges Half Marathon this past weekend in Woodstock, VT. First real race over the 5k's from my NNHS XC days (I was mostly a 300IH, 600, 4x400, 4x800 type). I dropped off my 1:30 target pace after 9 miles, but I'm satisfied with the result.

I've been reading your blog for a while now -- highly enjoyable. It's always fun to see how the team is doing.