April 21, 2008

NNHS Alumni Results - April 19, 2008

David Polgar won the unseeded heat of the men's 1500 and placed 9th overall at the UConn Husky Spring Invitational on Saturday, running 4:03.96.

At the Little Three meet (Amherst, Williams, Wesleyan) hosted by Amherst College, Scott Cole ran 4:13.91 for 1500m, finishing 10th. Steph O'Brien finished 3rd in the 800m, running 2:18.60 to prevent a Williams sweep in that event. In the 5000m, Liz Gleason finished 6th, running 19:07.24.

The University of Rochester was in action at SUNY-Brockport on Saturday, but the results of the 5000 suggest perhaps it was a training effort for Dan Chebot and three of his Rochester teammates, who are all listed as DNF for the race.




Added 4/21: Noah Jampol had a very good weekend indeed at the Widener Invitational. On Friday, he ran a PR 16:20.49 for 5000m. Why he was running the 5000m, I don't know but perhaps he will fill us in. On Saturday, Noah doubled back to run a PR 4:05.66 for 1500m (4:24.5 mile equivalent). So that's the secret to running a fast 1500 -- taper with a 5K the day before!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Indeed it was a training effort; It was 82 degrees out and quite windy, so my coach told us to hold off our major 5k effort until our meet this wednesday evening. Instead I paced one of our guys through the mile in 4:41....he wanted a nationals time but slowed down a lot from there due to the conditions.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon, thanks for the mention and I'm not quite sure why Coach wanted me in the 5000. I suppose some strength training/prep for Cross Country. I've been doing some strong low rest threshold workouts at 5:15-5:20 pace, so maybe that's why. Either way, I didn't really know how to run it/feel comfortable and even ran a dawdling 88 at a point(yikes!). Forced myself to get back into it with 800 to go because I was last in the heat and I had quite a bit left. Ran a 70 second lap and held onto it before I looked back with 150 to go and saw that no one was within 30 meters ahead and behind me, so I eased up and ran it easy to the finish saving for the 1500. In the 1500, I felt really great through 3 laps despite only 18 hrs. between the races. Race went out kinda slow and was extremely bunched(got 3 spike wounds). I guess it was a good taper after all, as I felt more relaxed running 65s than ever before. I made an aggressive bid with 300 to go, and paid the price with 100 to go(5K probably didn't help, nor did a blister). Still, I held off a multiple time All American and 30min 10K runner/14:3x 5K guy in Don Letts so I was pleased. A more familiar race distance, the 800, looms for next week, and I'm hoping for an official sub 2 finally. Mileage has been 55-65, and I think I'll taper it down next week, and hope for a big PR at conferences.

Unknown said...

So I just ran that Wednesday night 5k I talked about.....not so hot. Went through the mile right on pace in 4:48 but then proceeded to die horribly to finish in 15:45. I'm going to attribute this one to passover and the fact that I have not eaten any carbs in 4 days.