February 13, 2009

Old Age 1 - Youth 0

News item of the day: stolen off letsrun.com and too good to ignore. Even at 72, retired teacher Jean Hirst (a former Notinghamshire sprint champion) chases down a 16-year handbag thief.

My favorite quote from the article:

"I didn't think of my safety, but I did pay for it a little the next day. I was covered in aches and pains and my daughter turned to me and said it was because I didn't warm up properly."

Thief Tries To Steal Handbag From 72-Yr-Old Ex-Champ Women's Sprinter

3 comments:

Tyler said...

I love it. The "wow, you picked the wrong person to try and rob" award. I actually had something very similar to this happen in Ecuador (though it's not quite as cool because I'm not 72...) Here's my account of it:

http://tzafrirelite.blogspot.com/2008/09/thank-g-d-for-asics.html

Anonymous said...

Priceless!

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of how once a man tried to car-jack a car full of people on their way to participating in a karate championship. Can't think that that ended well.