June 07, 2010

NSRP Begins This Wednesday

Back by popular demand, the Newton Summer Running Project returns to Cold Springs Park beginning this Wednesday, June 9, and most Wednesdays throughout the summer.

The NSRP is nothing more or less than an opportunity to meet fellow runners who are looking for camaraderie as they go about building up their summer mileage. Several years ago, I decided to invite anyone who wanted to join me to meet at Cold Springs Park in Newton two evenings a week -- Monday and Wednesday -- for moderate aerobic runs. The first year attendance was sparse, but it has grown steadily. I have been impressed by how many HS and former-HS runners from Newton, Brookline, Wellesley, Natick, Weymouth, and other towns have joined me and a few other old fogies for these runs. It has been a great way to help each other out as we all train -- some for fall XC, some for marathons, and some just to keep in the game.

Unfortunately, I can't commit to regular attendance on Monday evenings, but if there's sufficient interest, I encourage the group to meet on its own Mondays.

We meet at around 6:15, and try to get started on our run by 6:30. There are usually several groups, running anywhere from 4-5 to 12 miles. We try to pick routes from Cold Springs that involve trails, but the routes vary. It IS possible to get lost, and running with me is no guarantee of avoiding this fate.

Please note that if you are looking for a structured, highly organized running camp, the NSRP is not it. Instead, I like to think of our merry band of runners as the antidote to the over-structured, over-scheduled, over-priced running experience offered by some mega-coaching outfits. I don't "coach" NSRP and I don't tell you what to run. I *do* like to talk running if anyone feels like it, but mostly I like to keep it simple and just run.

For recent college grads and anyone else looking for a little more structure and the opportunity to run for a competitive club team, I should mention that my running club, the Cambridge Sports Union (CSU), offers weekly track workouts, long runs, and the opportunity to compete in team events, including free entry to the series of New England Championship races put on by the USATF-NE organization.

Please check us out at www.csurun.org.

I hope to see some folks on Wednesday!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

one more reason for me to move back from California.....

clay said...

i'd like to stop by- any opportunities the next 3 weekends?

Noah said...

Scooper-bowling this week, but will join to get back in shape next week

Sam D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam D said...

Correction: Jon and Noah, both of your cell phone numbers seem to have been changed. Too bad I missed All States Jam Cam this year. I'm glad to hear the runs are starting up, see you guys on most mondays/ wednesdays

Anonymous said...

do any of the newton girl runners ever go? i'm in a neighboring town and my team doesn't have girls for me to trail with :-/

Jon Waldron said...

The NN girls have never shown much interest in NSRP - maybe that's why it has mostly been a guys thing lately.

I would really like to have NSRP become co-ed, but I think it will take someone (maybe YOU!) bringing a small group of friends and starting the momentum. Really, it's all about having people to run with...

For me personally, I'm always happy to run with newcomers or those who want to go slower or shorter distance than "the regulars." So if you want to come by and do either a short run or a slow run or both, I'd be happy to join you.