July 06, 2011

Training to Train

Many years ago, at a time when I had just started running for a coach who was a proponent of lots of hard interval workouts, I had a brief exchange with him that has stuck in my mind ever since.

My training partners and I had done a couple of workouts with him already. My recollection is that they weren't too tough, but they WERE structured differently than what I was used to. The volume was light, but they were quite fast. After the second such workout, I asked him about the purpose of this kind of training, and his response was: "You're doing this workout to train for the workouts to come."

Now, I don't think the details of those workouts matter that much, and I can't remember them anyway. But the concept of training to prepare for training made a lot of sense to me. I think I had always operated as if there was a direct and immediate connection between training and racing -- that this week's workout would benefit next week's race. The idea that you did such-and-such workouts to prepare for other workouts was new to me. My coach's response neatly encapsulated the idea that one could focus on one aspect of training or one physiological system as a foundation for work on other aspects and other systems. It would later resonate with my subjective experience when I was involved in periods of training when racing was the last thing on my mind and I was completely focused on surviving the crucible of a series of tough workouts.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately because like many, I'm deep into my own summer training now, and I'm focusing on building a foundation to support harder training to come. I've been really enjoying this process, without worrying about racing at all. There's something very satisfying about being able to handle harder sessions on the track or longer tempo runs and beginning to notice yourself recovering well and eager for the next round of workouts.

I think a lot of people -- a lot of athletes, a lot of coaches -- assume that summer is nothing but base mileage, and that ANY fast running is out of place. I'm not convinced this is right. While it might be of secondary importance, I think fast running has a place in base training.

Looking at the calendar, I see that there are only 19 weeks until my cross country team lines up on a cold day in November for their final meet of the season. Preparing for that final test means preparing to prepare. Do I want them running long, hard intervals in the early weeks of October? Then I need a plan for how to get them ready to handle those hard sessions. Shouldn't that plan include a gradual introduction to fast running?

I don't mean to suggest that summer speed is the most important element of such preparation. When I prioritize summer training goals for my runners, I generally stress adapting to daily running and impact stress, developing a significant aerobic base, working on core strength, and establishing habits of good nutrition and adequate sleep. I'm confident these are the most helpful for building a foundation for hard training to come.

But for my experienced runners I don't discourage fartlek runs, tempo runs, low-key races, strides, and other forms of faster running. I wouldn't even rule out some work on the track, if I were able to supervise it, which I'm not.

We tend to forget that fast running is fun and motivating. Feeling faster makes you feel more engaged and committed so that you start looking forward to more training. I think the key is doing enough to increase comfort with faster running, while holding back from any heavy servings of speed that would be more suitable later in season.

I'm fortunate that among my readers are coaches with much more experience than me. I'm curious as to whether you encourage your athletes to incorporate faster running into summer plans, or whether you steer them away from that.

5 comments:

Mike Burnstein said...

hey John,

Very true post. I've found I get stale running 7 minute pace all summer, so I'm trying out a few faster long runs and road races this summer. We'll see if it pays off.

Mike Burnstein

also, I think you might be interested in this. I'm starting a running apparel company:

facebook.com/janjirunning

Tom said...

Great post, Jon! I'll give some insight into my summer training philosophies which I've learned from the best of the best.

When you break the time-line down from now until say a class meet, you have roughly 18 weeks. After some time off from the previous season, and 1-3 weeks of easier running depending on the individual, an athlete should be ready to get back to training. In the 18 weeks you have to train an athlete for XC, summer-time is undeniably the most important phase. This is where you set what I call your "potential ceiling". If you don't do the right training in this phase, you will not improve substantially.

Here's what I'd look to do:

1. Increase mileage to moderately high level. Take every third week as a low week around 60-70% volume.

2. Increase neuromuscular ability via alatic hill sprints. Start with as little as 2x8 seconds on the steepest hill you can find, then increase all the way up to 12x12 seconds on a less steep grade. Do these 1-2 times per week in the summer. If you do, you will be amazed, over time, at how much more efficient you become as a runner, how your basic speed will improve, but also by how you will ultimately be much less injury prone. These are done at 95% effort.

3. Increase aerobic power/capacity via progression runs. I usually have kids start at 3 miles, and then build-up to 6 miles. You're always looking to work down to goal 5k effort in the last mile of these as you move closer to specific training.

4. Speed maintenance! This is where many coaches fail their athletes in my mind. Never in a year should you be getting away from your ability to run fast. This doesn't mean you should always be able to run a 1:48 800m, but you should always have the ability to do something at that pace. I periodize this form of training to both maintain speed, but also to stress LT by having athletes do these on the track. For example, our progression would look something like this weekly: 6xstraights and curves, then 6x150m fast, 250 steady, 6x200m fast, 200m steady, 8xstraights and curves and so on. The goal here is to not worry about the pace, but to be quick and efficient, and to run an aerobically stimulating pace for the entire workout.

5. Lactate Threshold work. This is the key to building your potential ceiling and specific capacity. If you don't do it, you can't get better. This is one of the main reasons you see many kids stuck at the same level. In the summer months, because you don't want HS kids obsessing about pace, it's best to do this work UPHILL. I have kids progress weekly (keep in mind every 3rd week there are no structured workouts) by going: 10 minutes hard, 10 minutes hard, 10/5 minutes hard with 2 minute rest, 10/5 minutes hard with 2 minute rest, 12/8 minutes hard with 2 minute rest, 12/8 minutes hard with 2 minute rest. As you near the end of the summer you can start to do this on flat ground or XC type courses.

6. Long run - long runs are obviously hugely important for developing athletes, and some respond better than others. I usually build kids up to consistent 13-18 miles, depending on the athlete. I always give my athletes a choice in a long run: 1) out and back - meaning run out easy, come back hard; 2) Progression - meaning start out easy and bring the effort down every few miles, so that the end if pretty quick; 3) Medium with the last mile at 5k effort; 4) Medium effort with 30 second build-ups towards the end; or 5) just get the time on your legs and lungs if you're in the hurt.

Basic outline:

M - Very easy run with short hill sprints
T - Progression run
W - Normal run
Th - Normal run with speed maintenance
F - LT
S - Easy run
Su - Long run

This cycle would last for 8 weeks, and of course during all of this, one of the main keys to saying healthy is by sticking to a well developed core, hip, calf and back strengthening routine.

Chris said...

Jon,
I'm currently in Alamosa, Colorado with a couple friends who run for Adams State. The other day I had the privilege to meet the coach here, Damon Martin. He's been having his guys do two tempo runs a week. Most of them are progression runs where the guys start around six minute mile pace and finish around 5:10 pace which is pretty quick up here at 7500 ft. The idea of training to train is spot on as he explained to one of his guys the importance of doing tempo runs at 5:30 average pace in July so in late October and November he'll be ready to do them at 5:15 pace. Seeing the dominance Adams has in D2 and even compared to most D1 teams it seems occasional intensity in the summer works.

Old Blue Eyes said...

As much intensity in the summer as your motivation allows. Occasional is better than not at all, but frequent is better than occasional.

Mike said...

For a runner this isnt that hard to figure out especially when 7 minute miles feel fast but unfortunately we always hear how you need to build a base and focus on speed later. Getting leg speed will help in building that base and i think that is something that needs to be stressed. I like the uphill strides for the first few weeks of the summer then once a week progression runs along with continuing the uphill strides should help the runner build a better base for the long season.