December 16, 2011

Bay State Meet #1 - 12/15/11

From afar, I check out the results online of Bay State Meet #1 and am not surprised at the times and places and points piling up for Newton North.

The first name I see is that of Justin Keefe, perhaps the first winner of the season, ripping off a 4:37 mile in his indoor track opener. Gabe Montague and Jon Long, 2:45 and 2:52 in the 1000; Dan Swain (do I know him?) 1:28.92 in the 600; Ryan Lucken 36.59 (36.59!!) in the 300, Nick Fofana in a trio of events, a phalanx of shot putters led by Swardiq Mayanja at 52 feet, and so it goes. In my mind, I start playing the game of trying to project what those times will be after a season of dual meets, invitationals, relays, and facing better and better competition. Five (or is it six?) years away from the team and I still feel confident that Keefe will be running 4:20-22 at States, that everyone will get faster...

I click on the link to see the girls results, and all those sprinter times look incredibly fast for a first meet. I know I shouldn't think it -- wouldn't think it if I were a coach and not a distant fan -- but who will beat this team? Kayla Wong, Carla Forbes, Meghan Bellerose, Evie and Maggie Heffernan, Lucia Grigoli, Madi Nadeau, and all of those freshmen and sophomores who will be developing under Joe Tranchita's program.

The Boys and Girls won their meets over Braintree with identical scores of 82-13. It's early, and Braintree isn't the strongest opponent in the BSL, but this first meet didn't serve up much hope for the rest of the league.

Results - Bay State Meet #1 - 12/15/11

[Note: I know that some of my readers (well, Kevin...) will groan at seeing H.S. meet results again, and others will complain if I don't write detailed previews of every meet. As always, I write when I feel like I have something to say and time to say it properly. I wish I had more of both, but there you go. And yes, I am hoping to use the holiday break from work to write more about Tanzania.]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Photos from the meet:

http://photos.newtonsportsphotography.com/Track/2011-12-Newton-North/2011-NNHS-Indoor-Meet-1/20616295_nvjNZn#h=1634237811_QRtHkfq-P-1

link

Jon Waldron said...

Great photos, as always. Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

That's funny! I guess I'm the only one who could care less what happens in the high school races but am very curious what happened out on the savannah.

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Well, everyone gets out of the gate at different rates. Wellesley didn't have Ganley or Fouda (injuries or rest?), Brookline didn't race its top 3-4 XC girls, and Weymouth sat Jaklitsch, Barker, Fitzgibbon, Tevenan, and their freshman from XC if she's out, and the high jumper Pearce (injuries or rest?), and North seemed to race everybody.

So, yes, while they are clearly the team to beat in the BSC, I think it might be a little early to say they can't be beaten. My guess is that those teams will slowly start to come along. Indoor has that awkward lag between December and January, and some teams just prefer to base train and really get going after the New Year.

I also think North's indoor set up must help get going more quickly- having five hurdles set up and nice indoor jumping areas. They might never be caught in the league, but then again, they might be.

Anonymous said...

See link for Photos from MSTCA meet on Sunday.

m. glennon said...

I too look forward to stories from the Savannah. I appreciate whenever you get the time to write. Hope you find that time and all the time you need in the New Year to have a healthy and happy one.