June 04, 2007

Daily Reading...

Once upon a time, I had a boss who regularly described our futile attempts to glean manageable amounts of useful information from Internet sources as "...like trying to drink water from a fire hose..."

Well, I certainly know how that feels. Whenever I try to do Internet research, or just keep up with current events, I find myself dog-paddling in a vast ocean of marginally interesting web sites.

Recently, in an attempt to instill some discipline into my forays through the Web news landscape, I created for myself a "daily reading" list. The only links that make it onto this list are for sites that consistently provide interesting information and a distinct and recognizable point of view. My daily reading list has a section for running-related sites, of course, and I thought I'd share the "elite" sites that met my standards.

Finish Line Pundit

I only started reading FLP a few weeks ago, but I have been really impressed by the topics covered and the quality of the posts. In the last week, the pundit (42-year-old Jimmie Markham) has tackled the subject of racial advantage in T&F, the limits of human potential, how to improve televised coverage of T&F (including a harsh critique of CBS' coverage of the Reebok Grand Prix meet), and the case of Oscar Pistorius.

IAAF.ORG

More of a traditional news site (rather than a blog), I try to read IAAF.org every day to know what's going on in the world. On days when nothing's happening, I browse their world rankings and records sections.

Masters Muse and News

Ken Stone writes about Masters Athletics, and boy does he write, covering everything happening in the world of age-group track and field. This includes his sometimes acid criticism of political bodies within the sport, and frequent updates on athletes in their late thirties still competing at a world-class level. He gives ample space to field events (today I found out that 45-year-old Roald Bradstock just qualified for the USATF OPEN Nationals) and also scans the web for other interesting sites.

Just Your Average Joggler

When I tell you that this is a site devoted to the arcane art of "joggling" -- running while juggling -- I'm sure you'll assume that it's in my list as a novelty, a one-hit wonder. But surprisingly, this is an excellent site for practical information and discussion about everyday running topics such as how long to keep your running shoes, what exercises and stretches you should be doing, how to tell if you are over-training, and so on. Even if you've never had the urge to run the Chicago Marathon while continuously tossing and catching three balls, you might like this site.

This Day in Athletics

This is another recent addition to my list. There's no discussion, only brief news items from this day in athletics history. From this site I learn that on June 4, 1954, Wes Santee ran a world record for 1500m en route to a 4:00.6 mile at the Compton relays. If you want a dose of T&F history with your cornflakes, this is the site for you.

1 comment:

Jimmie said...

Hi, Jon.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to know someone is paying attention! Let me just say that the feeling is mutual. I'm impressed by your command of the English language. That kind of quality is not easy to find in the blogosphere. Take care and keep up the great work.

Regards,
Jimmie R. Markham
Finish Line Pundit