June 26, 2007

Everest Race Report; Riley Update

Tom Dmukauskas, my clubmate in the Cambridge Sports intrepid hiker and endurance runner, has written a fascinating account of his experience competing in the Everest Marathon.

Everest Marathon 2007 - The Infinite Course

I don't know about you, but when I hear about something as ridiculously extreme as running a marathon down the side of Mt. everest, my brain dismisses it as a kind of warped fantasy. This sense of detachment is blown to smithereens by Tom's detailed account of the race. Here's a little sample:

"The little bit of running I had done at Dingboche on the trek up taught me that flats or the slightest uphill camber left the legs in hypoxic shock after 200m. More than just a flash of exhaustion, the sensation also resembled the pins and needles feeling derived from cutting off circulation to an extremity. This race would be tough enough without that feeling, so my strategy until we had descended below 4000m was to only run on the downhills."




Riley Update

For all you doubters out there, I asked Riley how his training was going for this Thursday's 3.5M Corporate Challenge event. He said that yesterday he ran 3.5 miles in practice at about 6:00 per mile pace. if it was an accurate course, then that's an excellent effort! I think the race between us will be closer than many (here) have predicted.

No comments: