June 11, 2007

Newton Summer Running Project

After the intensity of spring track and before the rigors of fall cross-country, summer offers a chance for distance runners to build an aerobic base without the challenge of weekly or even bi-weekly meets. Building an aerobic base is a long-term project. It is a gently rising path in which no particular run is that hard, but the overall amount of running increases over time, giving the body a chance to adapt to a greater workload.

Building a base is not just a physical challenge, it is mental challenge, especially a test of one's ability to establish a habit of running regularly -- every day, if possible. It helps to have a routine. It helps to have a long-term plan. It also helps to have people to run with.

We have a group of runners in Newton who try to meet regularly during the summer to run, talk, and stay in touch. We meet on Mondays and Wednesdays at 6:15 at the entrance of Cold Spring Park in Newton. So far, the group has included mostly NNHS alumni who are now in or just out of college. However, I have great hopes that we will have more current high schoolers, and not just from Newton but from other schools around the area (are you reading this Brookline kids, Needham kids?).

Since different people have different goals, we try to break into groups that respect a variety of distances and paces. One group runs 6-8 miles. Another (a small one so far) runs only about 3 miles. We don't race the workouts. Well, sometimes David Polgar races the traffic, but we try not to encourage that behavior. We would love to have new people drop in.

These runs won't, by themselves, make anyone a world-beater. But they will help runners get into the habit of running, and will offer support for a variety of training goals.

If you would like to be put on my mailing list for the NSRP, leave a comment here and I will make sure you get all the announcements.



(design by Ankit Prakash - used with absolutely no permission)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know Polgar I'm going to beat you and the traffic when I show up.

Anonymous said...

I propose we have NSRP singlets made and enter road races under the affiliation NSRP. I think that'd be fun, what do you guys think?

- Tom Davis

Anonymous said...

id love to get on this mailing list and join the club
jmic4man@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Is it safe to assume MIAA rules are being adhered to?

Anonymous said...

As long as 50% of the people present arent Jon's GIRLS, he's OK. He can run with any of tyhe boys he'd like to run with. At least that's how I understand the rules.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't Jon coach the boys?

Anonymous said...

From an MIAA email sent to principals and athletic directors on March 16, 2007: "..the Board confirms that out-of-season activity for high school teams or team members is permissible, provided no member (whether paid or volunteer) of that high school sport coaching staff is coaching his/her sport out-of-season in any situation where candidates for that team (including incoming eighth graders in a four-year high school setting) are participants."

I would urge Jon and all coaches to be VERY careful with how you handle out-of-season workouts. We all know how important they are to a team's success, but keep in mind that Big Brother (i.e. the MIAA) may be watching. And unlike most of us, they may think organizing a friendly group run is more than it really is.

Anonymous said...

That email is not policy, it is PROPOSED policy. The MIAA is receiving alot of pressure about what it consideres an individual sport. We have team championships in track/ XC and we are not an individual sport.

seeherman said...

Waldron, throw me on the list (jseeher@yahoo.com). I get out of work downtown at 5:30 but if I bring my car I might be able to make it if I jump off of the Pike at Allston and floor it through Brighton Center (forget the disaster at the Newton Corner exit)

Anonymous said...

I'll start showing up after finals end, I'm looking forward to it.

-Daniel Hamilton
Dani3lHamilton@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I would like to join your group. I am going into my sophomore year at Newton North. I will be away for most of July, but I will be around during August and the end of June.

-Michael Weinfeld
lweinfeld@msn.com

Billy said...

is this going on for 2008? if so, throw me on the mailing list:

billylittlefield@gmail.com