January 19, 2006

Homage to Jordan Maddocks...

Newton North's opponent in today's Bay State Conference meet is Framingham, and, I'm sorry to say, Framingham is not very good. I don't know what it is about Framingham -- I know there are good athletes at the school (their soccer team was outstanding this last year), but their track program always seems to be languishing.

But before looking past the Flyers to the State Relays on Saturday, I want to take a moment to praise Framingham junior Jordan Maddocks, the league's best high jumper.

I first noticed Maddocks as a sophomore last year. It was after a BSC indoor meet, and there was one kid who kept taking jumps after the meet had finished. He kept working and working to clear a particular height -- I think it might have been 5' 8" -- and he didn't want to leave the building until he had done it. After that, I made a point of watching him jump. He had decent technique for someone who, I believed, had never had real coaching in the event. He also watched other jumpers and tried to pick up what he could. As the winter came and went, he recorded a series of new personal bests. At the Class A meet outdoors he jumped 6' 4" -- as a sophomore!

What really stands out about Maddocks is that he really seems to love jumping. He is a reminder to me that every town, every program has its champions. Today, when Framingham struggles to compete with Newton North's juggernaut, Jordan Maddocks will win the HJ for the Flyers. It's hard for me to root against him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The post a comment page is in spanish, but i am going to try very hard to figure this out. I was searching for high jump results today on 12/16 and I came across this. This is Jordan Maddocks, and I have to say that this is one of the most endearing and flattering things that anyone has ever said about me. And I really thank you for it. I remember that meet you were speaking about, it was my first meet with the flyers... And I really was not going to leave until i cleared 5'8''. I'm glad that someone can see my dedication to the sport. Our program has also evolved over the last two years, we are a completely different team than the Flyer's track from two years ago. As a team we are persistent and dedicated, and we are really out to win. Thank you very much.