January 01, 2006

Resolutions

I resolve to run today, and again tomorrow.

I resolve to stop hating the snow and instead try to see it as an entertaining source of variety in the never-ending adventure of training through a new England winter.

I resolve to stop being so sarcastic.

I resolve to learn three new ways to lace my running shoes.

I resolve to care more about eating the right foods, care more about stretching properly after my runs, and care less about getting slower.

I resolve to reduce the ridiculous complexity of my life and keep things simple so that I can do the things I really want to do... including train properly.

I resolve to take a class in something, anything, this year.

I resolve to race more often for fun, and not to worry so much about whether each race is a peak effort.

I resolve to learn 100 words of Swahili in the next six months.

I resolve to run 100 miles in seven consecutive calendar days sometime this summer.

I resolve to re-design the NNHSXC web site and get someone to help me keep it up to date.

I resolve not to torture the athletes I coach by attempting to use teenage slang, even as a joke.

I resolve to sing when I feel like it, and I don't care who's listening.

I resolve to treasure every step of every run, because running only feels like it goes on forever. In truth, there is such a thing as a finish line, and as far away as it seems, once you reach it, you can't ever go back and re-run the race.

No comments: