August 17, 2008

Sprinters -- Do You Have A Second?

Ok, that 100m final was pretty exciting, pretty impressive.

I was planning to stay up last night to watch it, but after the local NBC affiliate completely spoiled the surprise by announcing -- during the 7 O'clock news, several hours before showing the finals -- that Usain Bolt had won and set a world record, well, I wasn't interested losing any more sleep waiting to see something that had happened 24 hours earlier.

So I watched video of the race this morning. Very nice. Very fast. Very cool -- at least for the first 8.69 seconds.

Maybe its just me, but I didn't care for the final 15 meters. I hear everyone oohing and ahing about how Bolt set a world record even though he eased up in the final 15 meters. Well, is it too much to ask that sprinters who are about to win race save their celebrations for a few more strides? I mean, is it really necessary to show disdain for the other runners by coasting across the line in an Olympic 100m final?

I mean, c'mon people, the race takes less than ten seconds, and then you get several minutes to prance and preen, wrap yourself in a flag, hold up your finger in a universal symbol of happiness that of all the available integers, your name will be forever associated with the lowest.

Is it too much to ask that you actually race the full 100 meters?

It annoys me no end that in the next two weeks I will read several thousand speculations on what Bolt's time would have been if he hadn't lowered his arms, turned his head, and stopped driving to the finish while there was still several meters of tartan to traverse before the finishing line. Who cares? He ran 9.69. He won. Isn't that what it's all about?

Constantina Tomescu also celebrated before her race was over, but after running hard for 2 hours and 20 minutes, I'm a little bit more sympathetic to someone who blows a few kisses to the crowd. It's hard to begrudge a marathoner those moments of happiness after what they've been through.

But sprinters, please, all I ask is one second of your time -- one more second to help instill the principle that one should always run hard through the line, one more tick of the clock, and then let the celebrations begin.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think the point of running is to be the best, and beat all human competition more than it is to beat the clock. Once Bolt had the win in his grasp he celebrated, because that goal was accomplished.

I can see how it can be viewed as disrespectful to the other runners in the field, but once he knew he was the fastest in the world why not celebrate? He still won the race...

People can speculate about his possible times all they want but I think his goal was to win that race. And even still, he did it in WR time. Kinda like how Bannister's win over Landy was way more important than his first sub-4 mile. The origin of the sport is to beat everyone else, not the clock.

Jon Waldron said...

Here's the clip of Bannister beating Landy:

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/athletics/clips/7607/

I kind of like how he celebrates by collapsing after the finish line. Would it change your appreciation of the race if he had given a little "I'm #1" gesture a few meters before the line?

Anonymous said...

For all I know Bolt can eat a candy bar while running 9.69

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your sentiments. I found myself wondering if it was a generational thing. I think it's best to complete the race and then celebrate. I would have loved to see someone come from behind while he was celebrating.

Anonymous said...

maybe he leave some breathing room so he can set some more world records in the future.

Anonymous said...

The previous comment could be quite insightful. Bolt will make big $$ if he can break the record again at some meet following the Olympics. The gold medal assures him of big appearance fees, but there are some lucrative bonuses available on the European circuit, and elsewhere, for record breaking performances.

Bonny Guang said...

i highly doubt bolt was cheering those last point-something seconds with "I should set a record that I can beat easily later so I can make more moneyz."

Anonymous said...

I think it's a reasonable scenario.