August 31, 2010

Newton North Opens Its Doors


The Boston Globe has a front page article today on the new Newton North High School. As I type this, the ribbon-cutting ceremony to formally open the school is just minutes away.

Predictably, the article mostly rehashes the history of the expensive and controversial project, but also quotes current students, including football and track standout Isaiah Penn.

I can only imagine it will be a huge relief for the athletic teams to have a home again. There's certainly a thrill in using a new facility, but I'm finding myself feeling a little nostalgic about not having those crumbling stadium steps as a background to our track workouts.

Speaking of the Fall season, I notice that Newton North's web site still doesn't have schedule info for 2010. HighSchoolSports.net comes to the rescue and informs me that the Tigers open their season Wednesday, 9/15, with a meet against Dedham (and Framingham, too, I assume).

4 comments:

Clay said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6umX-L8r6E

was this evan who filmed this?

Jon Waldron said...

Yes, that was Evan's work.

And thanks a lot for "outing" my YouTube acting career. I had the kids at Concord Academy thinking I was a serious coach, but now...

Clay said...

ha, I thought you'd like the nostalgic NNHS Track steps you were talking about in the article- and to recycle your wisdom "take your work seriously, not yourself" :)

Cliff said...

this was in related videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW_qGtxV3ks&feature=related
I recognize those bleachers