November 03, 2011

Virtual Roads and Trails

For many summers, I did most of my long runs on the trails of Lincoln. Starting from the Lincoln Train Station or Walden Pond, sometimes alone but more often with friends, I would wind my way through the woods and fields, circling Flint Pond, climbing up and tumbling down Pine Hill, along the narrow trail that took us past Fairhaven Bay, adding a loop around Mt. Misery... I had such intimate knowledge of those trails that I imagined it would be possible to sit down in front a roaring fire on a cold winter night, close my eyes, and replay an entire run, step-by-step, without leaving my comfy chair.

The other day, I was fretting about the fact that our cross country team hadn't found a time to drive into Boston to preview the Franklin Park 5K course. I seriously considered trying to take my team on an imaginary tour of the course, relying on my memory to describe every feature on those historic loops. I also did a quick Internet search to see if anyone had shot a course video, which would serve the same purpose.

I didn't find what I was looking for, but I did come across an interesting site -- Outside Interactive -- whose mission is to capture video to simulate running a specific race course or a favorite training route. I quote from the company's web site:

"...After enduring yet another boring treadmill run in another harsh New England Winter while in preparation for the Boston Marathon [company founder Gary McNamee] thought, 'what if I could film the course and view it while I ran on my treadmill?' [...] After compiling research about the latest technologies in videography (and a LOT of trial and error) Gary successfully filmed the 26.2 mile course from Hopkinton to Boston and other popular running routes by refining the videography and editing process to produce the smoothest views of the course seen from a runner's perspective"


The company thinks the main use of such software will be for use with treadmills, and they have made it possible to adjust the video playback speed to correspond to various different paces. Here's a sample (from the company's web site) showing a few highlights from the Boston Marathon Course.

Outside Interactive - Hopkinton to Boston 26.2 Mile Trailer from Gary McNamee on Vimeo.



I'm not a treadmill runner, and I don't think this software and video will change that, but it's an interesting idea for sure. I'm not sure how much it really helps to prepare for running a course, but it certainly helps call to mind the experience of running along those roads after the fact.

I wonder if the same technology could be applied to make a game for the Sony Wii that would allow you to experience a race with Keninisa Bekele or David Rudisha? Perhaps call it Track Track Revolution?

2 comments:

ankit said...

reminded me of this:
http://www.proform.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_14201_16002_69502_177903

maybe the next version can adjust the incline of your treadmill.

and it's nintendo...

Anonymous said...

This type of software is spreading in the triathlon world as many cyclists use it on their computrainer. It's a pretty good idea when you're biking because it will simulate the course and hills, giving you the chance to learn courses mentally, but to also have those mental pictures add-up with course topography.

I'm old school and believe that if you teach someone how to race and compete, knowing the course won't make much of a difference. But many coaches in the cycling and triathlon world are all about this type of stuff, so you'll be sure to see it grow.

- Tom