May 29, 2007

Results from Everest Marathon

A few days ago, I wrote about my friend Tom Dmukauskus who was preparing to run the enzing Hillary Everest Marathon today (well, it was yesterday our time). He finished the race (and was the third foreigner).

Here's a news story reporting some race results.

Tom also emailed his quick summary:

"- First place overall: Deepak Rai in 3:59+ -- he won the race last year in 3:28,
but we learned that the course in '06 was 39k only...and they added a couple of
more substantial climbs this year, and made it 43k instead of just 42.2k for
good measure"

"- First foreigner: Antoine LePoint in 4:51 (I think). He is a professional
runner for France (competed in the World XC championships this year, and has a
1:06 half-marathon to his credit).
- Second foreigner: Alan ??? from the UK in his first marathon in 6:06:15. He
passed me 1k into the race, and was the only person I never passed back.
- Third foreigner: Me in 6:06:47. Having lost contact with Alan for the middle
41k of the race, I saw him in the last 800m of switchbacks down to Namche
Bazaar, but had syncopated spasms of calves and quads that prevented me from
erasing the gaps."

"Unbelievable stat: My final 10k was in ~2:07, and I was able to reel in people
that were an hour ahead of me! For those of you in the Northeast -- consider
what Boston marathon would be like if Heartbreak hill were Mt. Washington (well,
maybe 60% of the elevation gain in 1/3 the distance), and you had to start
climbing from an elevation of 11000ft."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so intense. Although running a 3:59 marathon does not seem that fast, running it up the side of a mountain in thin air would be brutal. Most people wouldn't even make it walking.

I am very impressed and will do this one day. Of course, on that future day, there won't be any snow on Mt. Everest and global warming will have warmed everything up enough to make it a nice jog.

But seriously, anyone who attempts this race is a bit crazy. And very, very impressive.