May 02, 2007

Uniform Rules

I had one of those puzzling experiences at the meet on Tuesday.

I have to preface this by saying that I was at the meet as an official, not as a coach. I used to coach for Newton North (and might do so again), but on this particular day, I had been very careful to avoid wearing any Newton school colors, or anything else that would call into question my role. After watching the finish of the boys mile, I was busying myself by reading out times for the stragglers. One of those stragglers was Andrey Tenne, who was on his way to running about a 6:45 for the mile. I had noticed Andrey at the start of the race, standing in the second row. Andrey, as usual, wasn't sporting a thread of school-issued clothing. He was wearing some long pair of basketball shorts and his usual shirt. Andrey has Asberger's syndrome, and is very particular about what he wears. Newton North coaches long ago gave up trying to get Andrey to wear anything other than his own shirt and shorts (and sometimes jacket and pants).

So while I was waiting for Andrey to reach the finish line, the head official came over to me and started berating me for Andrey's presence in the race. Mo was there and can confirm that the official was really ticked off and lectured me for 20-30 seconds on the importance of the uniform rule, and the importance of meeting minimum standards, etc. He also claimed that he hadn't seen Andrey at the start of the race, and was questioning whether he had even started with the others.

It was one of those moments when there was so much to say, that I ended up not saying a word. I wanted to explain about Andrey, but then I remembered that I wasn't even a Newton North coach and so it wasn't my responsibility or place to be on the receiving end of the head official's diatribe. I also felt particularly annoyed by the official's suggestion that Andrey hadn't actually started at the correct time or run the correct distance. You can say a lot about Andrey, but he is always there at the start and he always runs four laps. Mo was greatly amused by my befuddlement, as I stammered to get any words out.

Interestingly, later in the meet, another Newton North runner ran the 800 with non school-issued shorts. He asked the head official whether it was ok, and the official said "yes," and allowed him to run. Later on, that same runner changed his shorts for the relay.

I found myself thinking about this again today, and wondering about uniforms, and the uniform rule. I know that every coach spends a lot of time worrying about the uniform rule, and emphasizing the importance of following it. Almost every big meet begins with a pronouncement by the head officials that "The Uniform Rule Will Be Strictly Enforced." I guess there would be chaos if there wasn't a uniform rule, but I also think that the REAL issue is a little deeper, a little subtler.

I credit Peter Martin with the idea that the real issue is to impress upon the athletes that the uniform is the manifestation of belonging to the team. Ideally, that uniform should feel special, and should inspire not only a desire to wear it, but a desire to live up to it. I think we, as coaches, parents, officials, etc., can help make that the case, by focusing not so much on the "strict enforcement" side of the issue, although that side will never completely go away, but more on the team-building and team support that leads to a regard for the symbols of that team, including the uniform.

I guess what I'm saying is, that if you want your team members to feel special wearing the uniform, you start by making them -- including those who run 6:46 miles -- feel special about being on the team.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your experience does not surprise me all that much. I could tell something was different about Andrey by his distant yet warm gaze. I am the father of an Asberger's Syndrome boy albeit a little higher functioning on the Autism spectrum. I have observed this lack of understanding/ignorance of the condition around these parts for 3 years now. If the officials and the coaches do not understand the condition, it filters down in a negative way through the boys and girls. My son has been incessantly picked upon and even beaten up by one of his teamates. If these adults would lead by example, my humble opinion is that things would quite easier for him.

Now I understand why my son is treated so well by Newton North Athletes. You breed so much more that is important than just winning meets. Keep up the classy program in Tiger land.

Anonymous said...

Your experience does not surprise me all that much. I could tell something was different about Andrey by his distant yet warm gaze. I am the father of an Asberger's Syndrome boy albeit a little higher functioning on the Autism spectrum. I have observed this lack of understanding/ignorance of the condition around these parts for 3 years now. If the officials and the coaches do not understand the condition, it filters down in a negative way through the boys and girls. My son has been incessantly picked upon and even beaten up by one of his teamates. If these adults would lead by example, my humble opinion is that things would quite easier for him.

Now I understand why my son is treated so well by Newton North Athletes. You breed so much more that is important than just winning meets. Keep up the classy program in Tiger land.

Anonymous said...

Are you saying your son's coaches dont even understand his condition? Wow! That is bad. Have any specific instances come up where he was mistreated by them?

Anonymous said...

I feel like you must have felt when the official came up to you - lots to say but hard to say it all. I'll give it a shot even though I'm not sure it will come out right.
I have coached several athlete's with Asparger's over the years. There certainly are many degrees. I certainly am not an expert and really don't understand it in depth. I do know I try to treat wevery athlete on my team with respect. Doing that is not always easy since I'm human and I'm sure I've offended many over the years.
Having seen Andrey compete over the years I have never known or thought about his condition. Without knowing one could make the mistaken assumption that he does not run in a uniform because he at the back of the pack. The probl;em would be in not having the information. An official couldn't be expected to know his condition unless told. Failing that he should treat it like every other athlete hopefully. From the blog there does appear to be inconsistency in the officials application of the rule though. I think your quote / story of how coach Martin describes the point of the uniform is exactly the point of the rule and why it should be enforced consistently.
What I always found helpful with the athlete's I coached with Asberger's was the support their parents gacve me and their confidence in my coaching. Working together we always seemed to be able to give their child a fulfilling experience.