July 19, 2007

"Child's Mathematics"

Well, I'm certainly not the first one to post about the farce that ensued when officials at the Gaz de Paris meet mis-counted laps in the 3000m steeplechase there, but I finally saw the video, and it truly is a disaster.



There's nothing quite so sad as watching the dignity of a world-class distance race unravel like that. It was only a couple of years ago that I watched Keninisa Bekele mis-count laps in an indoor 3000m at the Boston Indoor Games, kick early, and then get passed by Alistair Cragg. What a letdown it was then! What a letdown it must have been for the spectators in Paris!

Thanks to the alert announcers at the Paris meet, we can watch the whole thing unfold with three laps to go. It's like a bad dream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am left speechless...(hence this is written)

Unknown said...

those officials should attend the SAT camp I am currently working at.........seriously.