July 31, 2007

Dan Chebot Wins Jay Mountain Trail Race


Dan Chebot (NNHS Class of '05) defended his title at the Jay Mountain Half-Marathon Trail race in Jay, Vermont, on Saturday, finishing nearly 13 minutes ahead of second place.

The Jay Mountain Marathon (30.5 miles) is considered one of the toughest trail marathons in the country and features 4500' of elevation gain (and loss), a river crossing, three miles of running in a stream, and enough mud, rocks, and brambles to satisfy the most ardent woodsman. Added in 2006, the half marathon (19.5 miles) has most of the hazards and obstacles of the full marathon course, including having to race Dan, who was the only person to average better than 10:00 miles on either course.

Full results of the Jay Mountain Half Marathon

Here is an excerpt from Dan's race report:

"My tactic was to take it out fast to separate out my competition and then make sure I was in first at the top of the mountain. This strategy worked a little too well, as the only person who tried to stay with me (he was about 50 meters back for the first 25 minutes) died horribly and came in half an hour behind me. At the top of Jay peak (which I walked up, again) I knew that I pretty much had to just get home safely in order to win because I could see a half mile behind me and there was nobody in sight. Coming down off the mountain the race director changed the course to add this ridiculous mile+ loop that was 95% through ankle to shin deep mud....."

Congratulations to Dan!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I wasn't expecting that! Thanks, Jon.
Jay is an awesome race. Anybody looking for an adventure and with little concern for their health should try it next year. It is now tuesday and I can still hardly walk down stairs, but it was totally worth it.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to do it this year but my lack of training kept me from it...maybe next year. Hopefully definitely next year!! As far as insanely crazy/difficult/odd races go, have people seen this one??:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/
story?page=toughguy2007