May 18, 2008

NNHS Alumni Results - May 17, 2008

I try to picture the final sprint, the final 100 meters after almost 25 laps of racing, the runner from Bowdoin trying to hold off the runner from Rochester, or was it the other way around?

I've run at that track, the one at Springfield College, and I can picture it in my mind, the runners passing the steeplechase water jump on the final turn, the spectators in the aluminum bleachers... Had I been there on Saturday for the ECAC Div III Championships, I would have been quite conflicted watching Dan Chebot (NNHS Class of 2005) and Pat Pierce (NNHS Class of 2004) sprinting for the finish together. On this day, Dan prevailed by half a second, 32:49.59 to 32:50.17.

At the same meet, Doug Brecher competed in the 5000 (I'm surprised he wasn't also in the 10K), running 15:39.15.

At the SEC Championships, being held this weekend at Auburn, Chris Barnicle placed 9th in the 10000m, running 30:11.15 for Arkansas.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can see how you would have been conflicted.....Personally I would have cheered for pat due to his long comeback. Unfortunately, we were in different heats of the 10k; I was in the fast one, got dragged out in 4:50 and died pretty bad. I would have loved to be in the same heat as Doug and Pat.

Anonymous said...

I hear the Arkansas guys went out in 2:08 for the first 800! Boy, must that have hurt.