May 05, 2008

This Day and Age

I know it's my own fault for not attending the Weston Invitational, but I've become impatient with meets that in this day and age still can't get it together to provide online results within, say, 24 hours of the end of the meet. What's a harried Internet journalist to do? Actually go to the meets and keep detailed notes?

As it is, I rely on hints from the DyeStat message boards, local papers with their spotty coverage, and other blog sites. But none of them makes up for not having access to the actual results.

By the way, Henry Finch and the other folks that contribute to the Newton South Running Times did their usual great job getting photos of the meet. Here's a photo from Henry showing Newton South junior Bridget Dahlberg pulling away from Emily Jones in the final straight of the girls mile. According to the DyeStat boards, Dahlberg ran 4:55 with Jones a couple of seconds back. From the picture, it also looks like a Marshfield (?) runner and Lincoln-Sudbury runner (Emily Mepham?) are on their way to excellent times, as well.



Here's another good picture of a Newton North shot putter (Ed Metallides?)... It just shows how out of touch I am that I don't know for sure...



Sure would be nice to have those results!

And while I'm whining about the hard life I lead tracking down times, let me say that I am reserving a special place in Hell for the college administrators who have chosen to host their athletic web pages on for-profit servers with countless pop-up ads and annoying audio promotions. Sorry, Noah, I hate visiting the Bluejay sports pages and I always feel like I should run an anti-virus scan after I've spent fifteen minutes looking for your results. And the video reports from Arkansas' hog-wired site? It's this kind of thing that gives bandwidth a bad name.

But back to Weston. I know it's hard work to get results out, but this is their 11th year. Wouldn't you think they'd have some sort of system by now? Or has the meet grown too popular for the "low-key" way that it's run? It just seems a shame when you go to all the trouble to assemble a meet with some of the best H.S. athletes in mass. and then can't tell the world how fast they ran, how far they threw, how long and how high they jumped.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this clearly calls for one thing, get yourself a highspeed camera, a six-shooter revolver, and a monogrammed polo shirt and herald in the start of: Waldron Elite Sports Timing. And I'm only half joking, from what I hear it's a pretty lucrative field, and all you do is hang around Tackies all day!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonoymous. Many of us have become too dependent on getting results this way. We are at the mercy of timing companies / officials - if they have a "glitch" which is my understanding of what happened then we're out of luck. Perhaps a timing system can be part of the new 200 godzillion Newton North facility.

Anonymous said...

FYI - Alyse Rocco, Canton - Needham TC CIT - third place in girl's mile.

Anonymous said...

The NN shot putter pictured is Alex McLean who threw 46'9", his best ever.

Jon Waldron said...

Wow! Congratulations to Alex, and to the NN program for developing yet another terrific shot putter. (And doesn't it always seem that the shot put team has big breakthroughs at the Weston meet?)

Ben said...

results!!
http://www.directathletics.com/results/track/8313.html

Anonymous said...

Check out former Mass runner Arie Lambie's run at Stanford:

2 Arianna Lambie Unattached 15:22.51R

Yikes! That is Fast!