October 02, 2009

NN Girls Lose Another Close One; Boys Remain Perfect

The first day of October felt a lot more like fall than summer, as the Newton North cross-country team hosted Natick and Milton at Cold Spring Park. The Newton North girls lost both dual meets, falling to Milton 23-33 and losing by a single point to Natick, 28-27.

I haven't seen any results, but assuming the scores of the two meets are correct (the Globe had the NN-Natick score wrong), and piecing together info from daily papers, I'll speculate that finishing order was something like this:

1. NN (Gillis)
2. Milton
3. Milton
4. NN
5. Milton
6. Nat
7. Nat
8. Milton
9. Nat
10. Milton
11. NN
12. Nat
13. Nat
14. NN
15. Mil
16. NN

Remember, I'm guessing, now. It would sure be nice to see results.

No such drama in the boys meet, as Newton North had no trouble with either Milton or Natick, taking the top six places against both teams to win with identical scores of 15-48. Sharing first for the Tigers were Ezra Lichtman and Dan Ranti in 16:37. Mike Goldenberg was 3rd in 16:47, followed by Jake Gleason (17:15), Mike Weinfeld (17:45), and Sam Fogel (17:50). The boys record now stands at 7-0 going into next week's meet against Norwood and Braintree.

5 comments:

Mike Miller said...

Jon,

So far I've pieced this together from the NN-NAT-MIL meet:

1) Gillis 18:26 (CR?)
2) Kiernan M 18:52
3) Collins M 19:26
4) Hughes M 19:46
5) Gleason ????
6) Holman N NT
7) McElaney N 20:50 (?)
8) Heiden M (?)
9) Maichen N 21:07 (?)
10) Butlin M (?)
11) Tripathi (?)
12) Natick
13) Natick
14) Newton
15) Newton

Milton 22-33 over NN
Natick 27-28 over NN
Milton 20-35 over Natick

Jon Waldron said...

Thanks, Mike. Great info!

I believe the course record is 18:23, set by Wellesley's Alexandra Krieg on 10/13/04.

But I also remember seeing Catie Markesich run a monster time at Cold Spring Park, and I've never tracked down that performance, which might be better.

Anonymous said...

That boys team looks good!

Mike Miller said...

Jon,

I'd have to double-check this, but I know NN was the 1st meet that season, so I doubt it was THAT fast. I have the XC yearbook in my classroom so I check Monday.

m. glennon said...

Wouldn't it be great if everyone put results on athletic.net so there would be no "piecing" together of results.