October 10, 2009

NNHS Alumni etc. Results - 10/10/09

A lot of racing to report on this weekend, including a big XC meet in Boston, a marathon in Hartford, and other races.

An old friend, Jason Abbott-Dallamora (NNHS Class of '02), finished his first marathon on Saturday, running 3:24:39 at Hartford to finish 229th in a field of over 2200. I spoke with Jason a few days before the race and he had been battling knee and Achilles problems, but was determined to see the race through, and did.

At the Hamilton College Invitational, Dan Hamilton (no relation!) ran 28:21.5 for the 8K course, finishing as fourth man for the University of Rochester team.

Franklin Park hosted the Open New England Championships this morning, and there were lots of NN alums and Bay State alums in attendance, not all of them racing. In the men's varsity race, David Polgar (BU '10) looked very strong as he ran 26:10 for the 4.95 mile course. Seb Putzeys (Northeastern '12) was not too far behind, running 26:46. Ben Chebot ran in the sub-varsity race, finishing in 28:55.

Other Bay Staters and friends of NSRP included Paul Norton (Brandeis) who ran a great race to finish 6th in 24:45, Needham alums Sam Miller (26:52) and Jake Newfield (27:29), and Newton South alums Andrew Wortham (27:05) and Sam Donovan (27:19).

In the women's varsity and sub-varsity races I counted five Bay State alumnae, although I'm sure I must have missed some.

Natick's Rebecca White (Quinnipiac) ran 18:23 to finish 19th overall. Wellesley's Brielle Chabot (Boston College) finished 2nd in the women's sub-varsity race in 18:44, which would have placed her fourth for BC in the varsity race. Tough as nails, is Brielle. Natick's Anya Price (Tufts) ran 20:05, Wellesley's Annamarie Lukes (BU) ran 20:12, and Weymouth's Kristen Mahoney (Stonehill) ran 20:34.

4 comments:

m. glennon said...

Weymouth's Kristen Mahoney.

In the women's sub-varsity were 2 Brookline alums - Shira Warren UNH and Wesleyan's Nellie Triedman.
Lots of Warrior alum guys watching - non racing.

Mike Miller said...

Jon,

Another BSC alumnus, Catie Markesich (Weymouth '03) completed the Ironman World Championship triathlon in Hawaii in 15:51.01. I tried imagining swimming 2.4 miles, running a marathon and biking 112 miles.

I would have drowned and died .5 miles into the swim.

Anonymous said...

Why do you hardly ever cover South alumni? Sure, we're not in the BSL, but we're in the same city!

Jon Waldron said...

I cover North alumni because as a former coach at North, I am particularly interested in the program's history and the post-HS careers of the athletes that I coached. I also try to mention results from runners that I've come to know through the summer runs at Cold Spring Park (I believe I've mentioned Sam D a few times recently... And I should get partial credit for Tom Davis, who attended South before North). I certainly don't have anything against Newton South, which is a fine program, as everyone knows!

One day, perhaps I will quit my day job, quit my coaching responsibilities at CA (40 kids!), abandon my own training, and free up enough time to launch a proper web site that covers all Massachusetts HS running and is lousy with ads and popups like all the other for-profit sites on the web. Until then, I'm afraid you'll have to put up with my idiosyncratic, inconsistent, poorly edited, personally biased, occasionally fact-challenged excuse for Internet journalism.