September 11, 2007

Six Years Ago

Six years ago the sky was a brilliant, cloudless blue, and I couldn't wait for the morning hours to pass by. It was the day of the first meet of the 2001 cross-country season, and it was my first meet as an assistant coach for Newton North. My daughter was a senior on the girls team. My son was a freshman, and was thrilled to finally be attending high school. I couldn't have been more excited.

At work, I was sitting in a conference room on the ground floor of our building, which I shared with two of my co-workers as temporary office space. A little bit after 9:30, one of my office mates, Don McAllister, came in and told me that he had just heard that a plane had hit the World Trade Center.

There was no immediate shock or sense of fear. I assumed it had been an accident, although a bizarre one. A half hour later, I and everyone else at work had a very different understanding.

All athletic events were canceled that day. The team met after school anyway, wanting to be together as a team. I expected we would talk about what had happened, but no one knew how to talk about it. The sky remained cloudless, but now the vacant sky had an almost menacing quality. And it was quiet -- quiet in a way that it never had been before.

Pat Pierce was a sophomore on that team. He lost a close relative in the attack on the World Trade Center. In the next several days, we became aware of others close to us who had lost loved ones in the collapse of the towers. They included Newton North's principal, Jennifer Huntington.

Today, September 11, 2007 is the first meet of the fall for Newton North. The forecast is for rain, but the weather is unlikely to dampen the excitement for the start of a new season. I share in that excitement, and I wish all the runners the joy of competition. The future is uncertain -- it always is, even when we think we have it figured out -- but we have the present moment in which to do something worthy of memory.

Run fast. Be strong. Care for each other.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon,

I've been reading your blog for a couple of years now, and just wanted to drop you a line and tell you how much I enjoy reading it. I'm not from Newton or even another Bay State team (I have a daughter who runs for LS), but you have a rare combination of insight into the sport and an ability to write. Its been a pleasure.

Cheers,

-Bill Mepham

Jon Waldron said...

Thank you for the kind words, Bill... and let me say good luck to your daughter (Emily?) and the rest of the outstanding LS team this year!

Anonymous said...

Jon,

When I read your post I felt the needed to respond. I am very similar to Bill in as I read your post daily and am not from Newton but my daughter was on a BSL team and 2 more will be next year. Bill summed up what I wanted to say about you writing and insight but rather than say well someone already responded and not post I thought I would join in.
Thanks for all the work this summer and good luck at Concord Academy

Jim Pearce

Anonymous said...

Jon,

When I read your post I felt the need to respond. I am very similar to Bill in as I read your post daily and am not from Newton but my daughter was on a BSL team and 2 more will be next year. Bill summed up what I wanted to say about your writing and insight but rather than say well someone already responded and not post I thought I would join in.
Thanks for all the work this summer good luck at Cocord Academy

Jim Pearce

Anonymous said...

NNHS meet was rained out today, which you probably already know.

I will never forget where I was when I heard the news about the September 11th attacks. Although I was a little kid back then, my teacher couldn't stop crying after she told us the news. I remember the silence, too. My whole middle school was walking out at the end of the day, 500 kids and all the sounds I could hear were the shuffling of shoes.

Anonymous said...

What a pleasure to find your blog; impressive, indeed.

Concord Academy is lucky to have you aboard.

PCJ