September 04, 2007

Why is this man sleepy?



I'm always on the lookout for examples of great mental fortitude, and triumph over the little obstacles that life throws in the way.

Thanks to Christopher Clarey's short article in the NY Times this morning, I read about a story I had missed while watching Tyson Gay, Bernard Lagat, and Allyson Felix dominate their events.

David Payne wasn't supposed to be in Osaka, having failed to place in the top three at the U.S. Championships in the 110M hurdles. When Dominique Arnold withdrew from the event with an injury, there was an open spot on the U.S. team. Payne, who was in Virgina, received a call early Tuesday morning, August 28. he was on a flight Tuesday afternoon, and arrived in Japan Tuesday evening after crossing 13 time zones in economy class.

Shaking off the jet lag, Payne ran in the preliminary heats on Wednesday, recording the second-fastest time of any runner with a 13.27. After that race he said, "I'm amazed that I'm here... I got a call two days ago to get on a plane. Now I'm going to make the best of it."

He then qualified for the finals, and on Friday, won the bronze medal, running 13.02.

To overcome the jet lag, the fatigue, and the lack of preparation time and still perform at that level is amazing to me. The next time you are tempted to complain about a long bus ride to a meet, remember David Payne with the flag draped around his shoulders.

No comments: