November 28, 2007

Gradus ad Parnassum

There's something to be said for living in a place where you can't help training, at least if you want to eat breakfast.

Here we were at Maho Bay Camp on the island of St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands. It was four in the afternoon, and I was sitting in the open air pavillion that sits up on the hill and overlooks the bay. It was that hour when vessels of every size and shape make their way home after a day of adventures on the water. I was thinking to myself, either this place is a dream, or that other place -- where bitter winds strip leaves from the trees and water freezes in the lakes -- that place is a dream. They can't both co-exist in the same moral universe.

You see, I never expected in my lifetime to visit the Virgin Islands. Nothing really prepared me for it. My family always believed in staying put during the winter. My dad liked to lay in the supplies and try to outlast the season. On the day I was born, a blizzard dropped two feet of snow on Amherst. With that background, I've always considered it an act of folly, if not a failure of character, to try to escape the cold by jetting off to some exotic location. So what was I doing here, in November, swimming in the aquamarine waters, relaxing in sandals and a t-shirt as cool breezes fanned my brow?

Well, I could blame it on Ann -- it was her 50th birthday that became the pretext for this unprecedented trip. Or I could point to the fact that our week away from New England coincided with having our kitchen torn apart as the first step in a wholesale renovation that will have us eating from the microwave for four weeks.

In an any case, here we were.

The camp where we're staying was actually a small city of about 150 tent structures and a few buildings built on the side of a steep hill that rises up out of the sea. Each tent structure was made with a solid wood platform that supported screened walls and a canvas roof that provided shelter from the occasional rain. (The rain, when it fell on the taut canvas in the middle of the night, sounded like fireworks crackling above our heads.)

The tents are connected by a series of boardwalks and stairs with whimsical names like Lizard Lane, Peahen Parkway, Crab Ramble Road, and Lost Donkey Highway. If there were slides, it would be like a life size version of Chutes and Ladders.

In this tent city, if we needed to go anywhere, we had to ascend or descend a great many flights of stairs. Ann and I were in Tent E28, which was near the top of the hillside. Between the beach to our tent, there were 365 stairs. I know because I counted them three separate times. The uphill version of this journey took about eight minutes. Of course, we were always carrying something, adding to the fun.

It didn't take me long to conclude that I was getting a pretty good workout just walking up and down the stairs. Of course, I was also running for about 30 minutes every morning, and those runs weren't flat either. The final 500 meters of my morning run asecended this same hill from a different side and involved climbing a grade that I estimated at 12% (yes, steeper than the hill at Gardner). The first day of doing this, and then walking up and down stairs all day, I was beat. The second day, I was looking for excuses to stay in our tent -- or, having left it, to stay away.

But by the third day a miracle occurred: I started getting used to it. By the fourth day, I was going out of my way to explore the vast network of walkways, finding new ways to navigate the hillside. That's when I started counting steps and stairs. I started taking pride in our remote and inaccessible location and looked down - literally and figuratively - on those guests whose tents were near the beach. I started imagining a running camp built on such a hill, a running camp that would turn its guests into mountain goats.

On the day before we left, I timed the final part of my run, and found out it took me 2:46 to climb the last hill. Later that day, we were returning from an excursion and were getting a ride from a truck that served as a taxi for the camp. On a whim, I started my watch when the truck began the long agonizing climb up the same hill I had run in the morning. Three minutes and twelve seconds later, I stopped my watch as the the truck crested the climb with a final groan from its lowest gear. I showed the watch proudly to Ann sitting next to me. She just rolled her eyes and shook her head, as if to say that vacations are completely wasted on some people.


Looking down from just above our tent onto Maho Bay, St. John, U.S.V.I.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to Saint Croix a few years ago. The Virgin Islands are one of the most amazing places I've visited.

Unknown said...

My family actually stayed at Maho bay when I was a junior in high school. I love the outdoors, but the bugs there were way too much to handle. I think I counted 100+ bites on my legs alone by the end of the week. What was your experience?

Jon Waldron said...

Yes, there were lots of bugs. I found that hanging out where there was a good breeze was the best protection. When we were in our tent, we used a fan to help keep the bugs at bay. We also had two anole lizards sharing our tent with us, and we were always encouraging them to eat more of the mosquitos.

Unknown said...

haha, memories. I avoided the bugs by staying in the ocean all day.