November 14, 2007

Two Champions Describe the Gardner Course

When Mike Miller asked me to comment on the Gardner XC course, my first reaction was to decline politely since I don't feel that I have a good understanding of the course. I jogged it once, and watched the 2004 All-State meet, but that's the extent of my experience.

But I asked a few runners who competed at that 2004 meet, including two who won state championships there. This is what they had to say.

Chris Barnicle ran 14:09 at Gardner and looked supremely comfortable doing it. This is what he says about the course:

"...I would say the most important thing would be -- as in any race -- to run relaxed. There are some uphills that are very tough and that would be foolish to run too hard, and some downhills so steep that they seem vertical. One thing that I'm sure is important is to have enough energy for the last straight. It's slightly uphill, and if you still have some energy in the bank you can catch a lot of people."

Of course, Chris had the advantage of being the best runner in the race, and was able to run relaxed while still staying in the front. Still, he was quite patient, and only pulled away from Paul Morris in the final mile. Morris faded, and was caught by Josh Boone, who knew the course well, and ran the last 1K very fast.

Unlike Chris, Jess Barton went into the 2004 race as an underdog. It was only her first year of cross-country, and she had finished 2nd in the snow at the EMass meet to Meghan Curran. But at Gardner, she attacked the front of the race, seeming to gain strength as the race went on. In the last half mile Jess outran Amherst's Spring Greeney for the win.

Here's what Jess has to say:

"I remember at Gardner that the hills were not really bad, except for the one steep hill in the last mile or so, but the rest of them weren't very steep and the grass was in really good condition, so they were not too hard.

I think I just went out hard, stayed focused and ran hard the entire way and made sure that I ran fast and strong on the downhills."

So there you have it: two different approaches to running well at Gardner and winning the state championship. I find it fascinating that Jess didn't remember the hills as steep, which I think says a lot about her mental focus on that day. If I had to reconcile the two approaches, I would say that it is very important not to run the "ravine" hill too hard either down or up, but to stay in your own zone, alert and focused on the task at hand. I also agree with Chris that you have to have mental and physical energy in reserve for the last 1000 meters.

As a coach, I would always tell people to have fun and run it like any other race, confident and untroubled by the course, the competition, or the weather. It's really a privilege to compete in the All-State meet. You should enjoy it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "ravine" hill or dippity do as I've heard it called as well is the 16th hole - a 210 yard par 3. Hit 7 wood right at he pin but came up short on monday. Hopefully we won't come up short on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

I set the Gardner Municipal Golf Course record for under-18, hitting 18 hole in ones for a perfect score. I doubt I'll be able to perform as well in the race on Saturday, unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

thats tough, i went 3 under two weekends ago, i generally go with my 6 iron for a shot like that, im not much of a wood guy unless i am in the rough on say a par 5.