July 24, 2008

Kids: Keep Moving!

I almost missed this article, published a week ago Wednesday in the NY Times:

As Children Grow, Activity Quickly Slows

The article cites a study that suggests a dramatic decline in activity levels in children as they become teenagers. Using accelerometers to gather data on activity levels, researchers from the University of California, San Diego found that nine-year-olds spend on average about three hours a day in active physical pursuits. However, 15-year-olds are active only 49 minutes a day on weekdays and half an hour on weekends.

The NY Times states:

"The study did not measure reasons for the decline, but researchers noted that schools often curtail physical activity as children get older. Not only does recess stop, but many schools drop physical education as well. In addition, sports become more exclusive as children grow, allowing only the best athletes to compete."

This strikes me as extremely sad and harmful.

Speaking for myself, if I hadn't had lots of physical activity in my teenage years I would have been in big trouble -- both academically and socially. Running vigorously during those years (and playing basketball and stickball, and walking to school) made an enormous difference in calming me down and helping me cope.

I'm sure not all 15-year-olds are as restless as I was, but many of them are, and the lack of opportunity to move seems hurtful and counter-productive.

No comments: