July 31, 2008

Marathon Mice and "Exercise in a Pill"

Well, the major media are all over this one already.

Researchers at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in California have developed two drugs -- easily taken in pill form -- that produce many of the beneficial effects of exercise, at least in mice.

Exercise in a Pill?

Pretty much every newspaper, television station, online news service, etc. has a blurb on this story. You can understand why. Lots of people exercise, and lots of people wish it wasn't necessary.

The Boston Globe describes the drug's potential as "a couch potato's fantasy"...

Drugs Mimic Exercise Benefits in Mice

I don't want to minimize the implications of this serious research, but I also don't want to be caught in the media overkill on this story.

First of all, drugs that have this affect in mice are one thing: drugs that do the same thing safely in people are another.

Second, I *like* to exercise, so why should I get worked up over stories about a drug that helped me do less of the thing I like? It's like hearing about a pill that takes the place of eating. OK, but I like to eat.

But science marches on, and I'm sure this research will ultimately have benefits for treating some conditions. Perhaps ten years from now, these drugs will be used to improve the quality of life for some segment of the population.

But for now, I'll just continue to deal with my "condition" using the same old-fashioned treatment: daily doses of vitamin M.

No comments: