November 27, 2008

Taking Things in Stride

It's Thanksgiving, the day of Turkey Trots and big meals, of journeys to relatives, of worrying about the weather and bracing for the onslaught of Christmas. I know I should be helping to dice the onions, but instead I'll take this moment to wish everyone a safe and healthy Thanksgiving day. Remember to help clean up after the meal, and don't argue politics at the table.

I received a very nice Thanksgiving Day note from Dr. Robert Chasen this morning. Many NSRP alumni know "Dr. Bob" and his son Ben from their journeys up to Newton from Weymouth last summer. Dr. Bob is a podiatrist, a runner with a marathon-long list of accomplishments and honors, and an occasional columnist for New England Runner. He's also a blogger, sharing technical articles on various topics interesting to athletes, as well as more personal subjects.

His blog is called "Taking Things in Stride," and you can read it for yourself at
takingthingsinstride.blogspot.com. His most recent post is an essay on the Achilles tendon, its structure and function, as well as a survey of the many causes of Achilles tendonosis (far more common than the misnomer, Achilles tendonitis).

I recommend Dr. Bob's blog, and also Dr. Bob's medical wisdom. He knows runners and running injuries like few medical professionals. He treated me for my mysterious injury this summer and his insightful diagnosis and recommendations were extremely important in getting me back on the road to health.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon,
Thank you for bringing this blog and specifically this article to "our attention". I for one, (as you know), have had problems with my achilles on and off for years and it was nice to read someone's take on the injury who is not only a medical professional but also a runner enthusiastic about their sport. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving and a fleet-footed Turkey Trot if you ran one.
-Chris

Jon Waldron said...

Good to hear from you, Chris!

I didn't race yesterday (I spent Thanksgiving at my brother's house in upstate New York, and I've been watching it snow all morning...)

Anyone else race yesterday?