January 05, 2011

Avoiding Treadmills (dot com)

One day last winter, I went for a run from my work in Burlington to Horn Pond in Woburn. After weeks of snow and cold, it was one of those great winter days when temperatures rise into the 50's, and so I was looking forward to a spring-like romp on the trails through the woods. In fact, they were miserable -- icy in some places, slushy in others, and I had to tiptoe through a mile of the stuff before emerging back on the roads.

If only I could have been warned about the trail conditions before setting off on my run!

Ah, but wherever there's a need, the Web steps forward to help. Specifically, the Boston Running Center has a web site -- www.avoidingtreadmills.com that shares information about the condition of running routes around the Boston area.

Their stated goal?

To help runners avoid using treadmills by finding safe, clear places to run!

How does it work? Well that's where you come in:

Everyone must participate! The success of this site depends on all of us, the running public, to continually update our routes - particularly during and after snow or rain storms!

4 comments:

mglennon said...

This is awesome! I worried about this very thing yesterday wondering if the melting from the weekend made BC res. OK. I go by it on my way to work so I knew but I'll certaqinly add to the site.

Happy New Year. Hope you enjoyed ( if you're back) the trip.

Anonymous said...

whats wrong with treadmills?
get to monitor pace for some bitching tempos, do hill workouts without going down them and save time layering up...

Jared said...

Not all treadmills are bad. Thats what the AlterG is for! Especially good for injuries.

Treadmills said...

Running outside is not against running on treadmill as they are not enemies. Treadmill dose give people chances to running when outside conditions are not available.