January 01, 2011

Resolutions for 2011

(Inspired by my Resolutions post from Jan 1, 2006)...

In 2011...

I resolve to take strength training more seriously, realizing that the only way to age gracefully as a runner is to stay strong...

I will recycle at least 10 pairs of old running shoes...as a start...

I resolve to commute to work without a car more than once this summer...

I will try not to become impatient when people ask me barefoot running...

I resolve not to become obsessed with what the stopwatch recorded, so long as the effort was there...

I resolve to continue ignoring my Facebook status for months at a time -- unless a miracle occurs and I finally do something interesting...

If my body holds up, I will do more than one 20-mile run this year...

And I will not forget that I still haven't crossed "100-mile week" off my bucket list...

I resolve to make a better effort to reduce the number of typos in my blog posts by re-reading them BEFORE I post...

I will stop apologizing to young fast guys for being an old slow guy -- hey, fellas, enjoy it while you can...

I will remember T.S. Eliot's words: "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time..."

...and with those words ringing in my ears, I resolve to start some new, crazy, impractical running project just to discover what it's like, and whether I can get through it with my mind and body intact.

1 comment:

Gordon M. said...

Jon,

I hope one ongoing resolution in 2011 will be you continue to "dance" up hills and spread the secret you've developed about this. It has helped me and perhaps others to have a better attitude when we encounter those beasts in races.

Welcome back from Africa!