January 15, 2009

Dress for Duress

Yesterday, with temperatures low and heading lower, I prepared for my run by pulling on my extra-long, extra-warm polypro under-layer (with turtleneck), then another polypro layer that has a tight weave for cutting the wind, and finally a third outside shell. I didn't use my warmest leggings, but instead trusted that my SportHill tights would be warm enough for 20 degrees. I used long socks (so as not to expose the ankles), my warmer gloves (still not warm enough -- I should have used two pairs), and a good warm hat.

Of course, I used lip blam and vaseline to protect my face.

Running from Concord Academy, I returned at about the same time as the winter running class was heading out for their run. I saw kids with long-sleeve t-shirts (only), bare legs, no hats, not glove or mittens...and I wondered...

What is it about high school that makes kids unable to dress for the weather? As soon as they graduate...boom!... they suddenly start pulling on the layers, the hats, the gloves... but until they graduate they will go out in any weather with little thought about their choice of gear.

I used to think that high schools kids didn't feel the cold, but I don't think that's true. I think they feel the cold, but somehow don't connect it with their clothing. For reasons that remain mysterious, that connection only happens when they receive a diploma.

I used to try to be the surrogate parent, telling kids to dress warmly, but I was always ignored. I also used to routinely keep a half dozen hats and pairs of gloves in my bag when I came to practice, and would loan them out if any of the kids started complaining, or even if they didn't.

"Here, wear this!" I would say, handing over a hat to a sophomore in a t-shirt and shorts. "Take these gloves," I would say to a junior shivering at the door on his way out for a five-miler.

Often, the recipient would look skeptically at the article of clothing, and accept it reluctantly and only after further prodding.

But a few months out of high school, every single runner suddenly acquired the tights, vests, windbreakers, hats, gloves, and savvy to handle nasty weather. I don't get it.

Well, the next few days will test this theory, and might accelerate the learning process for our current high school athletes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've even tried the approach of "No Gear, No Credit." It just led to kids trying to negotiate.

Thanks for the coverage on coverage.

Tyler said...

I don't think they make clothes enough warm enough for this weather. Pool running for me today!

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you're talking about. Back in high school I had the 'double t-shirt' policy, which was that any weather was survivable in merely a long sleeve t-shirt over a normal t-shirt. I did have some tights when I finally did indoor senior year, but that was about the extent of it. The other day I was doing a fartlek with Scott out on Commonwealth ave when the NNHS team ran by. Together, the two of us had likely donned more technical clothing than the six boys that ran by us combined. It was not warmer than 20 degrees out, yet I saw legs and arms exposed like it was April. The kids are crazy, I tell you...