January 16, 2009

Some Cold Runs

Anyone feel like a little group therapy, sharing your stories of really cold runs? This cold snap makes me think of some memorable winter runs from the distant and not-so-distant past...

People often ask "do you run in this weather?" and wonder whether the really cold air freezes your lungs. I don't know at what point that becomes likely, but I've never felt even close to that point. The coldest actual air temperature I've ever run in was -3 F. I didn't know it was that cold until I got home. that was a long time ago, but I remember that it didn't feel that bad -- except that my hat froze from the moisture making its way to the hat's surface from my head. I think I also had icicles on my eyebrows.

One of the coldest runs I ever did was barely a year ago. I think the temperature was about 10 F, and I had a pair of gloves that looked warm but didn't really work well at all, and I was running home from Cleveland Circle right into the teeth of a Northwest wind. After a mile, I couldn't feel my hands. Normally when that happens, it only takes another few minutes to start generating enough heat to bring the feeling back and then my hands ache a little bit and then everything is fine. But not this time. This time, my hands stayed completely numb. No feeling at all. I couldn't even tell whether I was wearing gloves or not. I ended up stopping at Newton City Hall for 15 minutes until the feeling came back -- the first and only time I've had to stop a run because of the cold.

One memorable cold run -- really stupid in retrospect -- was a 14-mile long run that I did from downtown Boston. It was probably 15 or more years ago, and Ann and I had taken our kids downtown on a Sunday morning in January to see technicians bring down an office building by imploding it. It was about 20 degrees out, and we stood in the cold with a crowd of other people for about an hour to witness 15 seconds of destruction. I had dressed for running, plus an extra jacket, so that I could leave the car with Ann and run home. After an hour in the cold, I started that run already very chilled. I finished the run with a sense of profound fatigue. I think I slept all afternoon, and then got sick with bronchitis or something.

The longest, coldest I ever felt on a run was also the result of really poor planning. My club was doing a training run on the Boston Marathon course. A bunch of cars drove out to Hopkinton, and then a bunch of runners ran back to Newton -- about 18 miles. It happened that we didn't have enough drivers, so I decided to drive out, and then carry my keys with me. My idea was that I would run halfway with everyone else and then turn around and run back to my car.

It was about 20-25 degrees when we started from Hopkinton, but it actually felt really pleasant because there was a "Montreal Express" wind at our backs, blowing about 15-20 mph. After several miles, we were toasty enough to unzip our windbreakers and feel the sweat in our gloves and hats.

At 9 miles, I turned around.

The next hour was 60 minutes of steadily increasing misery. The wind bit into the exposed skin of my face. The sweat that I had worked up running with the wind made the cold feel much worse. And I felt like I had to work twice as hard against the wind to cover each mile back towards my car. Plus, I had no company. It was just awful.

As most people know, the marathon course begins with a long downhill from Hopkinton town green. As I climbed back up the hill, I cursed the town fathers of Hopkinton for building their houses on top of a mountain. Likewise, I cursed the BAA for moving the start up the hill, and for having the idea of the marathon in the first place. Most of all, I cursed myself for my inexperience in starting a winter run with the wind at my back. I don't make that mistake anymore.

So what are the coldest runs you've done?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't the coldest run I've done, or even particularly miserable last Saturday morning. I went for a 12 mile run down along the Charles. I had on tights, nylon wind pants, a medium weight technical shirt, a wind breaker, a polypropylene balaclava, a winter running hat, and winter cycling mittens, so I was comfortable, but I knew it was cold when at 8 miles I tried to take a drink from my fuel belt and found that my Gatorade had turned into a Gatorade slushy that I couldn’t suck out of the bottle.
My most miserable cold weather run was a shorter and actually much warmer run. It must have been late in cross-country season and we went out for an eight-mile out and back run. This was in the late 70s and no one wore tights or polypropylene shirts. We might have heard of Goretex, but no one on the team had any. I think I was wearing the most high tech gear, Frank Shorter wind pants, a Frank Shorter windbreaker, and short sleeve cotton tee shirt. Others were wearing cotton sweat pants and sweat shirts.
When we started the temperature must have been in the high 30’s and the sky was overcast. About two miles into the run it began to rain, and it rained steadily enough for the next mile to soak us. Then the temperature began to drop rapidly. Three miles into the run it began to sleet. The temperature dropped to 30 degrees, and it began to snow before we hit the turn around. We ran the last four miles soaking wet, into the wind, through heavy snow, with wet wind pants or sweats sticking to our legs. By the time we finished, two to three inches of slushy show had accumulated.
What I remember most was getting into a warm shower and having whatever tendon or muscle is attached to the top of my knee cap tighten up, painfully retracting my knee caps as far up my legs as they would go.

Anonymous said...

Did a cold run once(-15) and thought I had lost the use of a vital body part. Learned the importance of extra protection. More dangerous is running in extreme heat. Once on a 20 mile run on the Cape, although drinking water, I got so dehydrated that I couldn't urinate although I needed to. Finally passed a stone and blood. A surgical procedure at the hospital found nothing wrong. Found out from a running magazine that you can get so dyhydrated that your urine turns to stone....Some have to learn the hard way.

Anonymous said...

Did a cold run once(-15) and thought I had lost the use of a vital body part. Learned the importance of extra protection. More dangerous is running in extreme heat. Once on a 20 mile run on the Cape, although drinking water, I got so dehydrated that I couldn't urinate although I needed to. Finally passed a stone and blood. A surgical procedure at the hospital found nothing wrong. Found out from a running magazine that you can get so dyhydrated that your urine turns to stone....Some have to learn the hard way.

Anonymous said...

One year Sharon and I decided during XC preseason (when it was still 90 degrees out) that come winter, we were going to wait for a really bad blizzard, and do a sports bra run. At some point during indoor season when it was well below zero and the snow was coming down hard, we did it. I think we only made it about a mile before turning back. Miserable, but well worth it for all the strange looks we got from drivers on Comm Ave.

Tyler said...

I ran the Derry 16 miler last year which was pretty rough. It was below 20 and started snowing about a mile into the race. Eventually there were a few inches of snow on the ground, so it was one of those 3 steps forward and 2 steps back kind of scenarios.

Anonymous said...

Really an effect of the cold days before today, but going out in 30 degree whether today felt like it was really, really warm. My legs just had a different sensation when I was walking to out athletic center to get my shoes to run.